Wanna buy The Flintstones home? A Wilma Flintstone figure is seen at the Flintstones Bedrock City theme park (AP photos)
Wanna buy The Flintstones home?

"Flintstones" fans with a few million dollars now have a chance to rule over the town of Bedrock and own a page right out of history.

The owner of Flintstones Bedrock City, a northern Arizona theme park designed around the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, is selling the property for $2 million. Linda Speckels said she is ready to retire from operating the park and campground in Williams, about 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon.

"I'm 73 years old, I don't have that many more years of adventure time left," said Speckels, who has been trying to sell the place for more than a year. "I love the property, but I feel like it's time for somebody else to come in and enjoy it and do something with it."

The price, however, does not include the image licensing of everyone's favorite modern, stone-age family. Warner Bros. currently owns Hanna-Barbera properties and Speckels has renewed her own deal over the years with different licensors. New owners would have to work out their own licensing agreement.

Speckels said she is optimistic that anyone who would care enough to buy the park would be able to work out a deal on the licensing and said she would like to see the prehistoric props stay.

"A lot of people think of this as art, especially architects and photographers," she said.

Speckels started operating Bedrock City with her husband, Francis "Hudi" Speckels, in 1972. The "Flintstones" attraction was a spinoff of one Francis Speckels' parents started in Custer, South Dakota. Francis Speckels died in 1990, but Linda Speckels continued running the park. The stone age village includes Fred's Diner restaurant, gift shop, theater and RV park. Among the attractions is a train that rides through a volcano and a slide down a dinosaur's tail. The $2 million purchase also includes 30 acres of land.

Speckels' daughter, Holly Hulen, who occasionally helps out, said business has been good the past year and that the park is still a draw.

"She has survived 42 years, which is really amazing for a small business," Hulen said. "But she's going to be 74. It's time for her to retire."

"The Flintstones" was one of several popular animated staples created by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera. The program followed the antics of Fred Flintstone, his wife, Wilma, and their friends, Barney and Betty Rubble. The animated show was one of the most watched prime-time TV shows in the 1960s and it was revived in the 1980s and spawned several TV specials and live-action film adaptations.

A lot of parents visiting the park like being able to introduce their children to "The Flintstones," Speckels said.

"We're getting a lot of third-generation families with kids and their grandparents," she said. "Everybody can relate to Fred and Wilma."

Critical thinking challenge: Why is the true cost more than $2 million?

• Josephl-Pav
    6/11/2015 - 09:50 a.m.

This is very cool and someone will definitely buy it. Although it is very expensive it is a piece of history to some people. This is very cool.

• Joni-Pav
    6/11/2015 - 09:53 a.m.

I watched this show growing up and are overjoyed to see this. I would love to see this this and/or live in it. This show was amazing and i love my life

• Kae-Lynn.Hiben10
    6/11/2015 - 01:01 p.m.

This story is marvelous. I remember watching this in 3rd grade on the boomerang station. It made me wonder how old the Flinstones cartoon, and why do we enjoy this show so much. According to watchcartoonsonlinehere.com, the Flinstones was first shown the year 1960 on the ABC network. Based off the various articles I have read, I believe people enjoy this cartoon because it's hilarious and just like our daily lives.

• mackenziemulick13
    6/11/2015 - 01:03 p.m.

I think its awesome that Speckels is 74 and has run the park for 42 years. If I had the money I would buy the park right away.The show, the Flintstones, is about the antics of Fred Flintstone and his wife Wilma and their friends Betty and Barney Rubble.This is a show I think is and was very popular and this park should be sold to someone who can relate to the show and will take good care of the park, because it could be added on to and could become a better attraction for the Flintstones.

• marlieholmes13
    6/11/2015 - 01:10 p.m.

I think this is really cool because she and her husband made an amusement park just for the show The "Flintstones." The lady that owns the park wants to sell it because she is getting old and is about ready to retire. She wants to sell the property for $ 2 million. The property has been for sale for almost more than a year. I looked at the website for the Flintstones amusement park and it looks like a very fun place to visit.

• jacobfrancel46
    6/11/2015 - 01:17 p.m.

I think this is funny because a couple of months ago I drove by this and checked this out on a family road trip. It was really old and look like it needed some work. I was creeped out when I went in the gift shop there was a creepy lady in there and it was all quiet in dim lighting.

• L.E 1999 blue
    6/12/2015 - 08:41 a.m.

I wouldn't live in the Flintstones house because there is nobody there to talk to and its in a desert were its going to be difficult for people to get food and you wouldn't be close to your family. I would want to be close to my family be I'm a families person I like to do things with my family and I like to have someone that I know just in case something happens to me.

• lm2000food
    6/12/2015 - 01:08 p.m.

I think the article was interesting. the true cost is more than 2 million because this building was on TV
    it is very famous place.

• LTaylor-Cas
    6/16/2015 - 07:46 a.m.

I think it's really cool that the owners of this Flintstones house are willing to sell it to someone, being that it is such a historical item. Whoever does decide to buy it needs to understand how great it is and take great care of it.

• BDaniel-Cas
    6/18/2015 - 11:46 a.m.

This is really cool! I didn't know anything about this amusement park prior to this article. This property is a must for the die-hard Flintstones fan. I really hope that the #1 fan gets this property, because I would hate to see the property go to waste.