Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment (Thinkstock)
Unexpected visitor: Woman finds bear in her apartment

A North Carolina woman says she entered her daughter's apartment and found a bear, who had entered by opening an unlocked door, roaming through the home.

Asheville Fire Department spokeswoman Kelley Klope told news outlets the mother called emergency personnel after spotting the bear eating some pet food.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission biologist Mike Carraway says the bear smelled dog food right inside the door and was able to get in through the door by pulling down on the unlocked handle.

Klope says crews arrived and hit on the ceiling to scare the bear, which then left unharmed.

Klope says all that was left in the wake of the bear's visit was a broken flowerpot and blind.

Carraway says similar break-ins are rare, with this being the first one this year in the Asheville area.

What lured the bear into the apartment?

• bordes,amos-cas
    10/21/2015 - 12:05 p.m.

1. The smell of dog food lured the bear into the apartment.

2. To think that a bear can go into your house to look for food is crazy. The safety issues are numerous.If you or other people are home then people could possibly get injured by the bear.

• holdenv-day
    10/21/2015 - 12:12 p.m.

Bears are amazing animals. They have a great sense of smell. I read about a bear that smelled a pb&j sandwich from outside of the car he then opened the car door and found the sandwich. when animal control got there the bear was able to get out of the car and ran away. The car was wrecked. The seats were ripped up glass was broken. it was a mess. This was a great article.

• esmit6-wim
    10/21/2015 - 01:06 p.m.

what lured the bear into the daughter's apartment was some dog food for the daughter's dog says North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission biologist, Mike Carraway

• flewellen,brandon-cas
    10/21/2015 - 02:17 p.m.

1 The item that had lured the bear into the apartment was dog food, which he could had possibly smell from outside the door. Also how he was able to get into the house was by pulling handle down when the door was unlocked.

2 This article/story that I read is interesting and it tells me that the bear got what he wanted by any means necessary.

• cadet,lourdemilla-cas
    10/21/2015 - 03:50 p.m.

1.The smell of the dog food is what lured the bear into the apartment.
    2. I think daughter should of locked the door before leaving her house. The bear could of done a lot of damage and hurt the woman.

• tylers-day
    10/21/2015 - 06:24 p.m.

I don't know what I would do if I walked into my house or apartment to see a bear just sitting there. Although knowing me, I would probably try to scare off myself,so good for her for not trying to do it herself. Also, I think that it is really good that the responders didn't try to tranquilizer or shoot the bear. Also, that's pretty crazy that the bear was able to get itself into the house.

• crossan,tiffany-cas
    10/22/2015 - 08:15 a.m.

1. The bear was lured into the apartment by the smell of dog food.
    2. It's good that the bear and the mother were unharmed. It's also a good thing that the bear didn't cause too much damage.

• whitley,ryan-cas
    10/22/2015 - 09:26 a.m.

1. The aroma of the dog food lured the bear into the apartment.

2. It is crazy to think that a bear can just open your door and look for food in your house.

• tell,nicholas-cas
    10/22/2015 - 10:00 a.m.

1. The bear smelled the dog food so he just walked right in and started eating it.

2.If I saw a bear while walking in the house I would of been scared. But it seemed like the bear just wanted the dog food so he would'nt think about hurting anyone. But still, I would have my door locked up so that wouldnt happen.

• ianc-day
    10/22/2015 - 10:51 a.m.

Never knew bears could open doors. That's weird that they know how to do that. I've heard of bears going into people's yards but never their houses. It's possible, though. My uncle's dog can open the the door, so it seems likely other animals would be able to do that, as well.