Un-bee-lievable! 50,000 bees invade apartment (- Thinkstock / Reuters)
Un-bee-lievable! 50,000 bees invade apartment

A New York City woman had some unexpected roommates living in her apartment: 50,000 bees. WABC-TV reports beekeepers removed the swarm from Frieda Turkmenilli's ceiling this week after her neighbors in Queens alerted the building manager.

Turkmenilli says she saw only a few bees buzzing around and never realized how many had taken up residence right above her head. She had noticed some bees around the apartment in the borough of Queens but it was other neighbors who complained to building manager Mike Candan.

"It's pretty amazing to think they found this one little hole, and they went in and set up shop, and started making honey," building manager Mike Candan told WABC of the insects.

Reporter Josh Einiger said that Candan brought in Anthony Planakis and Larry Stone, two professional beekeepers who have handled jobs like these for longer than they'd like to admit.

"It's quite painful!" Stone said. "You never get used it."

The beekeepers use equipment like a thermal imaging camera to determine where the bees might be hiding. But the experts were surprised that they found thousands of bees had settled in. The insects were removed along with more than a dozen honeycombs and will be relocated to a farm upstate.

Turkmenilli says she already misses them and wishes they had left behind some honey.

Critical thinking challenge: How could 50,000 bees fit through a tiny hole in the ceiling?

• AllisonLogan1
    8/28/2014 - 08:28 p.m.

Whoa, there were 50,000 bees in this woman's apartment,and she misses them. A good thing is that she didn't get harmed by the bees. The bad thing was that she only saw maybe one or two bees she didn't know that many were in her apartment. To me, 50,000 bees were hiding in a little hole,and the woman didn't notice the buzzing.

• VictoriaRuizR
    8/31/2014 - 07:01 p.m.

More than 50,000 bees were found living in an apartment in New York City. The apartment's owner, Frieda Turkmenilli said that she had seen some bees buzzing around, but she never realized they had set up shop in her ceiling. The way they entered the apartment is unknown, but it seems they found a tiny hole and then they went in litlle by little. Turkmenilli's neighbors alerted the building administrator, who called two professional beekeepers. They removed the swarm using special equipment. The good part is that the bees were going to be relocated to a farm upstate, so they didn't suffer any damage. The apartment's owner said she already missed the bees and wished they had left behind some honey.
    I think it's weird those bees had found a place in that apartment. With some many trees on the outside, who thought they liked to live there. In my opinion it is pretty good that they hadn't killed those bees. They deserve respect and I liked that they had called the two professionals, who did a great job.

• BrendonO-Wit
    9/02/2014 - 11:04 a.m.

Ok, How do they not notice 50,000 bees!? Haven't they heard the term " NOT THE BEES!!!!!". They shouldn't be missing the bee's at all, it could be very deadly if someone was allergic to them. Not to mention if someone pieved off the bees, it would've been a deadly situation. How do they not notice the bees, and how in the world do they miss them? Weird...

• cshields-Cla
    9/04/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

i suddenly don't want to go to new your as much. any place with that many bees should be closed down or they should have given them things to stop the bees from getting in

• jaedons-Orv
    9/08/2014 - 01:24 p.m.

I do not like bees. I wish they didn't have stingers. Just yesterday a girl named Cecily in my neighborhood got stung by a bee multiple times. The bee went in her SHORTS!!!!!!! People always say i over exaggerate when a bee is near. But, I'm not exaggerating. I just don't want to be stung.

• grayson3-Bor
    9/10/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

It is amazing but bees give me the creeps its just because i'm allergic and got stung in the neck when i was 7.But besides that this is a great story.

• ne2001bieber
    9/16/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

A lot of bees can fit in that tiny hole because maybe there is a lot of space behind the wall. Also, bees can go in there one by one.

• SDakota-Sti
    9/25/2014 - 09:40 a.m.

i never really like bees. This story i can relate to me because i have a huge bees nest in the ceiling of my garage.

• Jaket-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 10:41 a.m.

I think it is odd that the woman living there didn't realize all those bees coming in and out. I wonder how all those bees got into one tiny hole in that small apartment? I also wonder why the bees chose that place of all spots since there is no pollen in the apartment?

• Johno-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 10:46 a.m.

50,000 bees? It's amazing that all of those bees could fit in the roof of a New York apartment. One little hole is all it took for those bees to infest her home. What I don't understand is how she never noticed anything more than just one bee every so often. I'd imagine that they would be making a lot of noise too. If only she noticed sooner.