Two words: Baby hippo A mother hippo, named Mara, and her new-born calf at the Los Angeles Zoo (AP Photos /Los Angeles Zoo)
Two words: Baby hippo

The Los Angeles Zoo has received a real treat for Halloween, the birth of its first hippopotamus in 26 years.

Vets haven't determined the sex of the new hippo but they say the baby appears to be doing well and is bonding with mom.

The mother, 10-year-old Mara, came to the zoo in December from Topeka, Kansas, and the father is 3-year-old named Adhama, who arrived from the San Diego Zoo last year.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the birth considered a treat?

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    11/10/2014 - 11:13 a.m.

That's a sweet treat for Halloween! I never thought of what a baby hippo looks like but it is really cute. If it's a girl they should name it Pumpkin.

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    11/10/2014 - 01:11 p.m.

I think that it is sweet that for the first time in 26 years, a baby hippo is born. I am shocked that it has taken this long for a new one to be born; it is rather interesting.

• NashMcComsey-Ste
    11/10/2014 - 01:22 p.m.

What an interesting Halloween treat! It's good to see the zoo being able to have more hippo's join the herd. I do,however, wonder what caused the 26 year baby hippo gap.

• JacobM-5
    11/10/2014 - 08:00 p.m.

This article is about how the Los Angles Zoo had there first hippopotamus birth for many years. They also talked about some changes with the hippopotamus's. One was the mother gained weight, and another was the baby attracted to only the mother. I thought this article was nice to know about in current news.

• KiaraMc-Wil
    11/11/2014 - 07:54 p.m.

Again, animal related posts seem so interesting. I find it amazing to think so long before there was another a hippo was brought into the world. Critical Thinking Challenge: It was considered a "Treat" because its been so long since the last hippo birth. Plus, Its Halloween!

• r2000soccer
    11/12/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

the birth of hippo considered a treat because The zoo says the baby was born last Friday. It was somewhat of a surprise, but staffers had noticed the mother hippo gained weight, which made them suspect she was pregnant.

• JS2001basketball
    11/12/2014 - 08:45 a.m.

This was considered as a treat because this was the first baby hippo to be born in twenty six years so since the hiatus of baby hippos this was considered a treat

• annah-OBr
    11/12/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

I think that the birth was considered a treat because they haven't had a new baby hippo for a long time. That is so cool to get a baby hippo. For Halloween too! I think they might have gotten a little over excited. But they didn't have to go and say "trick or treat"! I wonder what they'll name it.

• cp2000nirvana
    11/13/2014 - 08:46 a.m.

i thought it was special that it was the first baby hippo in 26 years to be born I think it was a Halloween treat

• TreyvaunT
    11/13/2014 - 01:57 p.m.

I think hippos are scary. I would die if i ever saw one up close. They look funny to. but a baby hippo looks kinda cute in its wierd way.