Teens and adults say they feel tethered to phones A group of teenagers play "Pokemon Go" in downtown Hartselle, Ala. (Crystal VanderWeit/The Decatur Daily via AP/AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato, File)
Teens and adults say they feel tethered to phones

Parents lament their teenagers' noses constantly in their phones, but they might want to take stock of their own screen time habits.

A study out last week from the Pew Research Center found that two-thirds of parents are concerned about the amount of time their teenage children spend in front of screens, while more than a third expressed concern about their own screen time.

Meanwhile, more than half of teens said they often or sometimes find their parents or caregivers to be distracted when the teens are trying to have a conversation with them. The study calls teens' relationship with their phones at times "hyperconnected" and notes that nearly three-fourths check messages or notifications as soon as they wake up. Parents do the same, but at a lower if still substantial rate — 57 percent.

Big tech companies face a growing backlash against the addictive nature of their gadgets and apps, the endless notifications and other features created to keep people tethered to their screens.

Many teens are trying to do something about it: 52 percent said they have cut back on the time they spend on their phones and 57 percent did the same with social media.

Experts say parents have a big role in their kids' screen habits and setting a good example is a big part of it.

"Kids don't always do what we say but they do as we do," said Donald Shifrin, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington School of Medicine, who was not involved in the Pew study. "Parents are the door that kids will walk through on their way to the world."

The study surveyed 743 U.S. teens and 1,058 U.S. parents of teens from March 7 to April 10 with the margin of error at 4.5 percentage points.

Do you think people are too tethered to their phones? Why or why not?

• AllisonW-hol1
    9/12/2018 - 10:05 a.m.

Yes and no. I think that it is okay to be hyper-connected and talk with your friends but it does have to be limited. my mom and i both came up with a rule that all homework has to be done and to read a chapter in our book before we can have our electronics.

• jackw-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

Yes, because instead of spending time with family your just constantly in your room or somewhere just playing on your phone. At dinner people are most likely on their phone if your family doesn't have rules so that can take so much time off of family time. Also after a while your eye sight and communication skills will be off. Eventually you'll need glasses and no one wants glasses. When your having a conversation with someone that's not on there phone alot then they'll think your super weird and dumb. People even admit they have to much screen time, a third of parents even admit they are on there phone way to much. That's why I think that people are on there phones way to much.

• bens-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

I do feel like people are tethered to their electronics. I feel this way because in the text it states "three-fourths check messages or notifications as soon as they wake up." This shows that people feel they need to be active with their replies to text messages and games that they play. Also I definitely feel like I am addicted to my electronics because in the past 2 days I have spent about 10 hours on my electronics.

• graceb-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

I think some people spend way to much time on their phones. Some people have phones but don't use them as much as other people do. A lot of the time teenager's are tethered to their phones but adults not so much. I think the people that have phones should limit their time on it. If you spend so much time on this device it is not the best for your health. It can cause your eyesight to get worse, and it may be harder to fall asleep. This is why I think that only some people are tethered to their phones.

• anthonyc-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

I think people are tethered to there phones. For example 2/3 of parents are concerned about screen time. Parents have a big roll on the kids screen time. As the guy from the article said "Kids don't always do as we say ,but they do as we do." Also it shows in the picture the children are all on their phones texting or playing games.People are tethered to their phones.

• evelynb-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

Yes and No.I think electronics can be helpful but also not very healthy to be on.Electronics aren't all bad.There are some sights that can help kids improve their learning.Like pbs kids.But when people become to attached thats when it starts to become a problem.Kids and adults get so rapped up in what their doing they forget how to really socialize with other people.I think phones are more bad than good but its not bad to use electronics a little throughout the day.

• emmad-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:29 a.m.

I think yes and no. I think yes because people are always on their phones or devices and they are not always doing educational things. This would turn out bad because people could loose social skills. For example from the text, "Parents lament their teenagers' noses constantly in their phones" also "he study calls teens' relationship with their phones at times "hyperconnected" and notes that nearly three-fourths check messages or notifications as soon as they wake up.". I think no because some people use their devices for educational purposes or for staying in touch with family or friends who live farther away.

• giannag-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:30 a.m.

Yes and no. It's ok to be on your phone/device sometimes. But, using your device to the extreme can certainly be unhealthy. In some cases, using devices too much can make people somewhat anti-social. But, phones and devices are good for connecting with people and family who don't live nearby. There is also educational content on the internet.

• milapg-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:30 a.m.

Yes, I think people are tethered to their phones. It's fine to us it once in a while but lately people have been using it to much. People should try to talk face-to- face instead of texting or calling. Also using a phone too much is bad for you're eyesight. I know I use it way too much. That's why I think People are tethered to their phones.

• driaf-biz
    9/26/2018 - 08:31 a.m.

I do think that people are too tethered to their phones. People are constantly on their phones, and have replaced face-to-face conversations with texting. When people are on devices, it almost seems as if they are being hypnotized, as if they can't and won't look away. Some people even know that they are addicted to their phones, but choose not to change. Also, using a device too much is bad for your eyesight. Therefore, I think people are too tethered to their phones.