Teen takes wrong turn, accidentally runs 26.2 miles Philadelphia police Officer Andrew Schafer watches as runners make their way down the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia at the start of the Philadelphia Marathon, Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015. (AP Photo/ Joseph Kaczmarek)
Teen takes wrong turn, accidentally runs 26.2 miles

A Pennsylvania teenager's family says he accidentally ran all 26.2 miles of the Philadelphia Marathon because he missed a turn on his half-marathon course.

WPVI-TV reports Evan Megoulas runs on his high school's cross country team in Palmyra, 80 miles west of Philadelphia, and he set out to run the 13.1-mile half-marathon. His family was waiting for him at the finish line but became concerned when he didn't show up.

They say they gave police a photo of Evan, and officers tracked him down in the Manayunk section of the city, where he told them he felt good despite missing his turn and wanted to keep running.

Evan's brother says after he completed the marathon, in a time of 5:23:11, officers wanted a picture with him.

How could a wrong turn lead someone to run twice as far?

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    12/02/2015 - 04:04 p.m.

I can't even imagine running an entire marathon on accident. I would literally die. Evan is going to be my inspiration when I run my mile in gym class in the spring.

• briannec-ste
    12/04/2015 - 05:50 p.m.

I would be crying if I ran one mile, this kid was going to run 13.1 and ended up running a whole marathon. Also, it was just by one turn that he ran twice the amount the was suppose to.

• sahqueenw-pay
    12/08/2015 - 10:38 a.m.

I personally think the boy ran twice as far because he wanted to make up for making the wrong turn. The boy wanted to run around the the finish line instead of turning around and running back. I think this was a good little running adventure for this boy.

• coryl-pay
    12/08/2015 - 10:46 a.m.

I think that Evan has a strong heart. If i was him i would've running because if i was running for that long why would i stop i would finish it like he did.

• ivannac-pay
    12/08/2015 - 11:14 a.m.

Being able to run 26.2 miles in less than 6 hours is amazing. I cant even run three miles without taking a break or feeling weak. I think Evan is an inspiration for other people and he should continue running. Keep it up Evan!

• marihap-pay
    12/08/2015 - 11:15 a.m.

a teenager from Philadelphia says that he accidentally ran over 26 miles. he says that he ran extra miles by accident because he accidentally made the wrong turn.

• zaidas-pay
    12/08/2015 - 11:16 a.m.

That is completely amazing for a person to run 26.2 miles instead of the actual goal just for the fun of it. i wouldn't even make it to 3 let alone 26.2. Its just mind blowing to me.

• savanahg-pay
    12/08/2015 - 11:18 a.m.

I give props to these kids because running is no joke. I don't understand how they weren't as upset as I thought they would be. I would be furious after a long time because that was all my time wasted to have taken the wrong turn. I can't even run 1 mile let alone 26!

• rhondrag-pay
    12/08/2015 - 12:10 p.m.

A wrong turn could lead to someone running twice because, someone such as Evan must have turned down a path that was the beginning of the course: therefore, he began the course again running twice as far.

• nylae1-pay
    12/08/2015 - 12:32 p.m.

Taking a wrong turn for this young boy was not as devastating as it would be for many other people. Instead he continued to push through the long run and came out with his own personal victory.