Taylor Swift wants you to read Taylor Swift talks with children about the power of reading and writing (Invision for Scholastic, Inc./AP Images)
Taylor Swift wants you to read

Who says kids don't read? Not Taylor Swift.

The superstar made a stop on her tour promoting her new album to share her passion for reading and writing with a gaggle of New York City public school kids and 100 more giggling on computer screens via Skype from classrooms in Michigan and California.

Swift, whose "1989" may debut at No. 1 this week, is a lifelong lover of books and writing, particularly songwriting, but she told The Associated Press after chatting with the tweens and teens at Scholastic that she isn't ruling out other writing projects.

She's already an unpublished novelist. At 13 or 14, she wrote a 400-page book based on her life and friends, whom she had left behind during a summer away with her family.

"But since then, I've discovered music and that's the form of writing that inspires me the most. It's not to say that I wouldn't expand the mediums and the ways that I choose to write," Swift said. "What if I end up writing a script or a book, or a book of poetry or something? That would be so amazing. I would love to see that happen."

Her meetup with the kids, six surrounding her on cozy couches at the book publisher's Soho headquarters, was turned into a 30-minute video available at Scholastic.com that has her urging more young people to "open a world of possible" through books.

The students on Skype from Troy, Michigan, and Poway, California, had made signs declaring the superstar awesome. The in-person New Yorkers offered Swift their book recommendations. Among them: "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper.

And Harry Potter, natch.

The book ideas were timely for Swift as she prepares for a few lengthy flights. Making and promoting her fifth album has left her out of the loop on what to read, she said.

"I definitely walked away with a few suggestions, which I appreciate because with the way the schedule's been it's kind of lower priority and it shouldn't be," Swift said.

Critical thinking challenge: What do novels, poetry and songwriting have in common?

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    11/05/2014 - 01:22 p.m.

All writing is a form of expressing feeling. I think that it's cool that Taylor Swift, a writer herself, finds it interesting to read other people's writing. It's even cooler to me that she encourages other people to read as well, because as a national figurehead to some people that's what she should be doing.

• Samc-Hum
    11/05/2014 - 01:48 p.m.

I know Taylor wants us to read, but no thanks! I honestly would rather watch paint dry. I don't like her songs either. Have to go now. Bye!

• LAlanie-Sti
    11/05/2014 - 03:09 p.m.

Taylor Swift she has a point. I think that reading yes us kids should read. Reading is good and can give you a good imagination. Taylor she was writing at 12/13 years old which actually helped her in the long run. There are some pretty good books out there in this world if you actually look. You just have to find a genre of books that you like and read that genre. When you do that reading becomes fun and interesting. There is even books out there written in poetry format if that's the type of books you like.

• BrigitteA-3
    11/05/2014 - 06:14 p.m.

Celebrity Taylor Swift, has recently taken a break from her new album tour to tell kids to read more often. She herself is fond of reading, so she wants children to take an interest in it too. She teaches them the importance of reading and paying attention in school so that they can have a successful life. Her new album, 1989, has recently sold and she wanted to take advantage of her free time while on tour to make a difference in other people's lives in a positive way. I think that it is very nice of the busy celebrity to teach children the importance of reading, since she is a positive influence on her fans today. I also think that other celebrities should do this more often too, because most kids hate reading, but will probably read more if their celebrity "idol" advises them to.

• SAlexander-Sti
    11/06/2014 - 03:47 p.m.

its surprising that someone so famous would even care or dose she, dose she just do it for her reputation? Maybe she dose care but its also kinda cool haw she maid a books about herself and her and her friends when she was 14, and it was 400 pgs I would probably never do that

• CapeleyZ-1
    11/06/2014 - 07:08 p.m.

Taylor Swift has recently visited the Scholastic headquarters in New York City and 100 children over Skype for a talk about something Important to her, books. Swift did this to encourage to read and saying it is also a part of her work in songwriting. She even wrote a 400 page novel when she was fourteen about a summer away from her friends. The tweens and teens that Taylor met up with also recommended her some books such as "The Glass Castle" and of course Harry Potter. I think that it is great that celebrities want to encourage kids to read but as for Taylor writing her own book I think she should hold off because if her writing is anything like her song Shake it Off then I don't think it would be the most interesting and well developed book.

• LAvery-Sti
    11/07/2014 - 10:12 a.m.

I think this is nice how she cares if the kids of today read. I know that i need to read more. But why would she care if we were reading or not? Did she read as a kid? Did she like to read? Why would she like to read?. I think that we need more motivation for reading as kids these days.

• NashMcComsey-Ste
    11/10/2014 - 01:32 p.m.

Today I learned that a giggling group of New York children is known as a "Gaggle". In all seriousness, children reading less is a shrinking issue in this country, thanks in part to events like this.

• 5AudreyT
    11/11/2014 - 10:36 p.m.

Taylor Swift paused her tour so she could stop in New York to promote how important reading is. In addition to encouraging reading habits, Taylor Swift loves reading herself. At age 14 she wrote a four hundred page novel about herself. Instead of expanding on her love of reading and writing towards being a writer or author, she chose to incorporate her skills into song writing.
    Personally, I think it's great that she cares so much to spend time just to promote how important reading and writing is. There is no doubt that Taylor not only impacted the views of the children she interacted with, but also inspired kids everywhere, who look up to her, that education is very important. Education is one of our top priorities, but so many people take it for granted. By talking with those students, Taylor Swift is helping people to understand that we should be grateful for our education.

• ne2001bieber
    11/12/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

Novels, poetry, and song writing have a lot in common. Like they all tell a story. They all usually mean something to a writer. people can also relate to them and they require a lot of effort.