Suspension puts bite on World Cup player In this June 24, 2014 file photo, Uruguay's Luis Suarez holds his teeth after biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder during the group D World Cup soccer match between Italy and Uruguay in Natal, Brazil (AP photos)
Suspension puts bite on World Cup player

Luis Suarez is ready to put his biting days behind him.

The Barcelona striker was officially presented to fans on Tuesday at an event delayed for more than five weeks because of his suspension for biting an opponent at the World Cup.

Suarez said he was ready to "erase" his history of bad behavior and start fresh with the Catalan club.

"I say to all the fans, don't worry, because I won't do that anymore," the former Liverpool striker said.

Suarez sunk his teeth into the shoulder of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in June, earning him a four-month ban and further damaging his already tarnished reputation. The Court of Arbitration for Sport lessened his penalty last week, allowing him to start practice with Barcelona on Friday and play the final minutes of a friendly on Monday.

The Uruguay forward won't play a competitive match until October.

"The suspension is what it is, and I have to accept it," Suarez said. "After what happened I didn't want to do anything. I was depressed. But while I was with my wife and children I had to accept reality. I asked for forgiveness as I had to do, and now I have to think about the present."

Suarez refused to go into details about what he considered was at the root of his violent behavior. He called it a "private" issue that he was treating with the "appropriate professionals."

But the volatile former Ajax forward did say that after his latest bite he was worried about his career.

"Of course I was worried, but not only about the transfer (to Barcelona), but also about myself, for what I had done. I try to erase it," he said. "The lesson I take from it is personal. I try to forget it."

At 27, Suarez has accumulated three multi-match suspensions for sinking his teeth into an opponent. He has also been suspended for making racist remarks.

Barcelona vice president Jordi Mestre said Suarez cost the club 81 million euros ($108 million). Media reports had said the deal was for about 97 million euros ($129 million). Mestre added that Suarez's buyout clause has been set at 200 million euros ($267 million).

"It hurts not playing for Barcelona but it hurts even more not playing for my country," Suarez said. "I love my country. The fact that I will miss the next Copa America hurts very much. But I have to try and forget it."

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Barcelona keeping Luis Suarez with all his problems?

• CarlosM-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:40 a.m.

I think he should be banned because we will never know if he will bite someone else in the future and It might be serious.
    people like Luis will never change because we will never know what will come to his mind.

• 5isabelle5w
    9/05/2014 - 11:56 a.m.

I think that Barcelona is keeping Suarez for quite a few reasons. One of the reasons "I" think they are keeping him is because right at the beginning of the article Suarez states, "I say to all the fans, don't worry, I won't do it anymore." This shows that it must be a big deal because it was one of the first things said on the article. Another reason why I think Barcelona is going to keep him(Suarez) is becuase he is actually a very good player. The final reason I think that Barcelona is keeping Suarez is becuase people make mistakes and he should be forgiven. I think that sence he is getting one more chance he should really be smart about not biting people. All in all I think it will be a good idea for Barcelona to keep Suarez.

• iraniac-Koc
    9/09/2014 - 01:23 a.m.

I think Barcelona is keeping Suarez even by his biting issue because in general hes a phenominal player with a reputation of being top 5 strikers in Barclys Premier League when he was in Liverpool. i just hope after all this ban is over he can adapt to the tiki taka style of playing with barcelona squad along the 4 Balon D'or winner Leo Messi & Brazil's favorite Neymar to win the Spanisg Liga , El Classico & take barcelona to win UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE .

• GZachary-Cas
    9/11/2014 - 08:02 p.m.

Even though Suarez has said he will not bite another player again I really do not believe it will not happen he has done it 3 times before so why did he not learn his mistake? I believe that Suarez should have been banned for longer and had a fine of at least 10 million euros because bitting someone is assault and you can be arrested for doing it. Suarez is still one of the best players in his generation so it is good to see him playing again.

• Omarse-Fre
    9/23/2014 - 01:30 p.m.

According to the article Luis Suarez bit Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in June. The article also said that he got a suspension of 4 months with the club and 9 games with his country. Suarez also mentioned that he wanted to play with his county because he loves it. Suarez tried to appeal the suspension. He could practice with FC Barcelona but can't play until the classico between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. My opinion for this is unacceptable but we can't do anything about it.

• Bryor0422
    10/03/2014 - 01:47 p.m.

There are a few reasons why I think Luis Suarez is still on Barcelona. One reason is that Suarez is one on of the best strikers right now. Biting someone doesn't make you a worse player, it just makes you a worse person. I think Barcelona wanted to take advantage of the situation, because of the biting

• EthanFair-Wil
    10/15/2014 - 10:29 a.m.

Suarez is a great striker and one of the best in the world. Barcelona keeps him because he is so good and they don't care about their reputation, Barcelona just wants to win. It's a relief to know he might stop biting players because if he bit anymore we would have to call him a beaver.

• alexc-Che
    1/27/2015 - 02:26 p.m.

I agree with the article, on June 24, 2014 in the World Cup Luis Suarez bit the Italy's Giorgio Chiellini's defender. Luis Suarez was banned for four months and would not be able to play a competitive match till October, also he will miss the Copa America for his country Uruguay.