Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip Domino's pizza delivery driver James Gilpin (AP photos)
Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip

A pizza delivery driver in Marion, Indiana, was shocked to receive a $1,268 tip right in front of thousands of Indiana Wesleyan University students last week.

Keith Newman, Indiana Wesleyan's CEO of Residential Education, was trying to illustrate a point to 3,000 students at the IWU Chapel: "Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone.

So Newman ordered two pizzas from Domino's Pizza at 10 a.m. at a total cost of $12.50.

When delivery driver James Gilpin arrived at the chapel to deliver the two pizzas, he was escorted into the main hall and onto the stage, where he was met by thousands of students.

He was then presented with the $1,268 tip, $70 in gift cards and inspirational notes from students.

Gilpin said the surprise took a while to sink in, but he will use the money to help with Christmas for his two young children, and he said he was already drawing inspiration from the students' notes.

Critical thinking challenge: How does this story demonstrate "Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone?"

• jocelync-Koc
    10/21/2014 - 10:29 a.m.

Thats crazy how students in college can actually be as thoughtful or generous in giving a regular delivery guy a $1,268 tip!! I like the saying that the IWU Chapel students said in the quotes, and it is a very good one. i like this article and they're still some amazing people out there.

• raynac-Koc
    10/21/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

It's demonstrates it because its lke a random act of kindness first of all and because who wouldnt want to be able to recieve a nice tip like that. Its the little things. Get back what you put it.

• HunterHa-Wil
    10/21/2014 - 10:59 a.m.

I was kind of wondering why did the students do this for him. I really wish they told us why. If I was the pizza deliver i would give the students free pizzas.

• CStacey-Sti
    10/21/2014 - 11:27 a.m.

I think that is cool, sweet, and weird and the very same time. Weird because that is a huge tip for two pizzas. Cool and sweet because well its just something nice to do. I guess

• tonip-Koc
    10/21/2014 - 11:40 a.m.

This is one of the nicest stories I've heard of, I'm sure this surprise to the pizza delivery guy was unbelievable. I think the quote "Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone" showed that the students that gave him the money proved that they want everyone to be able to be generous and help others out, and it could easily make another person's day.

• NJ2001Game
    10/21/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

Because people wish that others had money to do what they wish. This story illustrates a man getting money and inspirational notes from children showing that you should do one thing for someone who needs things.

• Aw2001soccer
    10/21/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

it demonstrates the quote because "do for one what you wish you could do for everyone" means that by doing kind things for other people makes a difference

• MikaylaStazewski-Ste
    10/21/2014 - 01:29 p.m.

It is so great to hear of good deeds like this still going on around the world. It makes me happy to know other people are happy.

• 8PARSHADSOLOMON-Flo
    10/21/2014 - 01:41 p.m.

I think its really sweet how these students generously gave the delivery man 1200 dollars in cash. I think some people in this society are unappreciated for small the but important jobs they do. I wish more people can be this way towards the people like fast food employees, maids, janitors and delivery people. They may not seem like they help much in society but they actually do more than you think. Without janitors how do you think our school might be. The cafeteria would be a mess for sure and there would be food and drinks everywhere. Without fast food employees who would cook and prepare food for society. People should pay respect to people like these because our world would be so different.

• BColton-Sti
    10/21/2014 - 03:58 p.m.

If only everyone could do this in the world then this world would for surely be a better place. Also I taught that it was a nice thing that someone would do this to help a guy out. They are helping this guy out because he is going to use the money to buy his kids Christmas gifts.