Squirrel goes nuts over teen taking selfie Selfie with squirrel, at left. Then squirrel reacts, right (Instagram)
Squirrel goes nuts over teen taking selfie

A Maine teenager is flustered but not hurt after a photo op with a squirrel went awry.

Seventeen-year-old Brian Genest, of Auburn, said he saw what appeared to be a friendly squirrel on a hand rail while walking through John Chestnut Park near Tampa, Florida. He was on a trip looking at colleges.

Genest took a "selfie" of himself and the squirrel, but the flash and noises from his camera phone scared the animal, which climbed under the teen's shirt and hung onto his back.

"He was just in that spot where my arm can't reach him," Genest said. "I threw myself on the ground and that scared him off."

Genest's mother, Paula Wright, snapped photos of the hoopla, which were originally posted to her son's Instagram feed along with his selfie.

Genest had approached the squirrel making clicking sounds with his tongue to get closer. His mother said the spectacle Saturday taught him a lesson.

"I think he got a little lesson from the squirrel that he's not really its buddy," she said.

She said neither her son nor the squirrel was harmed.

Critical thinking challenge: What was a student from Maine doing in Florida? Why wasnt he in school?

Assigned 1 time

• Shayal101
    5/02/2014 - 12:02 p.m.

I think I would also want to take a selfie with a squirrel but I'd make sure I adjust my camera settings before I take a picture. But if the squirrel jumped on my back I would scream and run as fast as I can! I think animals are cute but I don't like touching animals or I don't like any animals touching me such as dogs or cats.

• jakeg-Cla
    5/02/2014 - 12:21 p.m.

Now that intertaining at some points i was laughing so hard i nearly cryed that squirrel needs to be in a insane asylum. good story and it was d### entertaining thank teen tribune.

• dylanh408
    5/02/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

I think it is kinda stupid to take a selfie with a squirrel because he knew the that that squirrel would jump on him and attack him because squirrels are really aggressive.

• ArianaB-1
    5/02/2014 - 06:36 p.m.

A teen in John Chestnut Park got attacked by a squirrel after trying to take a selfie with it.The teen leaned over and tried to take a picture of himself and the squirrel.The flash and noise of the camera phone scared the squirrel causing it to jump on the boys shirt.The boy through himself on the ground and the squirrel ranaway.The boys mom got the whole thing on camera.I didn't know squirrels could be viscous enough to jump up on you.

• ben_heagy
    5/02/2014 - 07:41 p.m.

A teenager recently tried to take a selfie with the squirrel. Shockingly, that didn't end well for the young man. When he took the picture the score went crazy and attacked him. This catastrophic selfie took place in John Chestnut Park in Tampa Bay, Florida. Fortunately, he was okay after brutal attack.
    Geewhiz, what a neat article! I sure hope he's okay after that attack.

• KyleH-3
    5/02/2014 - 07:59 p.m.

A Maine teenager named Brian was looking for colleges with his mom. He saw a squirrel on the railing that seem to be friendly, so Brian went over to the squirrel and took a selfie with it. The loud noise and blasts from Brian's phone scared the squirrel. The squirrel then jumped into Brian's shirt on his back. In my opinion I think that Brian should feel bad for the squirrel because it probably got really scared. At least he took a good selfie

• JoshR-5
    5/02/2014 - 08:00 p.m.

A Maine teenager was recently attacked. He was attacked by a rabid squirrel . The seventeen year old was taking a selfie with a harmless squirrel until things went south. The squirrel latched on to his bak an biting him. Luckily neither of them were hurt in the incident. I think it is wired that this thing would happen to a kid and a squirrel

• odalysi-Koc
    5/03/2014 - 01:25 p.m.

Thats pretty funny. I think id try to take a selfie if i saw a squirell near me. Its also funny how he still posted the picture even after the squirell attacked him.

• ALENAK-ZDE
    5/04/2014 - 04:30 p.m.

People today have become addicted to posting on and viewing social media. People, like Brian, are willing to put themselves in danger to snap a "selfie". The poor squirrel was unaware and frightened by the sound and flash from the camera. If you going to take a "selfie" with a wild animal, make sure all alarms are turned off, in order to avoid an event such as this.

• SARAHG-ZDE
    5/04/2014 - 04:51 p.m.

This article was interesting and informing. Most creatures, whether they are human or animal, can get scared by loud noises or flashes of light. The teenager learned a lesson and this is also a lesson for others too. Animals can be "spooked" by loud noises or flashes so always be careful.