Pots, pans, dolls, games up for toy hall of fame Bubbles and Rubik's Cube are finalists for induction into the National Toy Hall of Fame (Thinkstock)
Pots, pans, dolls, games up for toy hall of fame

Pots and pans and paper airplanes are among the 12 finalists for induction this year into the National Toy Hall of Fame.

Those humble contenders are up against American Girl dolls, the board game Operation and several return nominees, including little green Army men and bubbles.

The other 2014 nominees are: Fisher-Price Little People, My Little Pony, Rubik's Cube, Slip 'N Slide, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Toys and the toy trucks sold each holiday shopping season at Hess gas stations.

The hall of fame at The Strong museum in Rochester, New York, announced the finalists on Monday. Two winners will be inducted Nov. 6.

Anyone can nominate a toy. A museum advisory committee narrows down the list and a national committee of history, toy and education experts then votes in the winners.

Inductees have to be widely recognized, proven to be more than a passing fad and foster learning, creativity or discovery through play.

The two winners will join last year's honorees, the rubber duck and chess, along with the 51 other toys that have been inducted since the hall was established in 1998.

Other past winners include Etch A Sketch, Play-Doh, Barbie, Mr. Potato Head and the Frisbee.

But items like the cardboard box and stick have also made the hall for inspiring kids to transform them into play things on their own.

Critical thinking challenge: How does the Toy Hall of Fame benefit the city of Rochester, New York? What other reason might you have for visiting Rochester?

• sl2000soccer
    9/24/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

The toy hall of fame benefits Rochester because it provides little kids with toys they can play as well as other people who want to come and see what it looks like in person. Another reason you might visit Rochester is to see the children from all over the world playing with the toys in that general spot.

• r2000soccer
    9/24/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

Hall of Fame benefit the city of Rochester because it provide toys for little kids and people want to see what new toy is coming each year

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    9/24/2014 - 09:19 a.m.

It is quite interesting to read about what new "hot" toys are out recently and what are the top picks. I never really was a big fan of some of them listed, but as I read further I saw that play-doh and other toys I enjoyed were listed.

• IM2000food
    9/24/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

The toy hall of fame benefit the city of Rochester new York because in brings in more people to the city because of the event. also you might want to see what is in the hall of fame to see the top toys for the holiday season

• mrblkop99
    9/24/2014 - 01:29 p.m.

The toy hall of fame is giving pots and pans spot. or they could miss out personally i played with pans and pots. i still need one word

• zhallanat
    9/25/2014 - 07:20 a.m.

Dreadnaughts are nulliscendus c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d d

• NakaylaT1
    9/25/2014 - 07:23 a.m.

Kayla.
    I've been have a wonderful time at LHS.Jahyla is my first cousin. It is such a joy having having her around.
    She is my favoriteset cousin.

• nathanieln
    9/25/2014 - 07:23 a.m.

how does the toy hall of fame benefit the city of rochester,new york?what other you have for visiting rochester?so how would it help them or the children other

• LDakota-Sti
    9/25/2014 - 09:35 a.m.

Well I see why you would do this kids may not have these toys when they are kids they might have diffrent ones I support this and I remember my first toy I ever had.

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    9/25/2014 - 10:39 a.m.

I really like the idea of honoring toys in all Hall of Fame. However, I wouldn't be able to choose a favorite, though, because I love all toys. In my opinion, I would choose the Slip-and-Slide and the Operation Game becuase they were a few of my favorite things growing up.