Police pull over self-driving car A Google self-driving car goes on a test drive near the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif. (AP Photo/Eric Risberg/Tony Avelar)
Police pull over self-driving car

A California police officer made a traffic stop, but wrote no ticket. There was no driver to give it to anyway.

Mountain View police said in a statement that an officer pulled over a Google self-driving car that was being tested on local roads Nov. 12.

The officer noticed the car going a road-clogging 24 mph in a 35 mph zone and realized it was a Google Autonomous Vehicle, so he stopped the car and contacted its operators to let them know it was impeding traffic, but no citation was given.

A person is required to sit behind the wheel of self-driving cars.

The Google project responded in a blog post, saying it's never received a ticket and adding, "Driving too slowly? Bet humans don't get pulled over for that too often."

Why was no ticket issued?

• colline1-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:23 a.m.

It is so cool that Google has made a self-driving car! Self-driving cars involve extraordinary technology that will keep more people safe. If these become cheap enough that every person can get one, accidents won't happen which will prevent many deaths from occurring in the future.

• julianw-lam
      11/18/2015 - 01:31 p.m.

I cant believe Google is making a self driving car. I thought it be more in the future. It takes time, money, and technology to make a self driving car.

• jaredp-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:24 a.m.

I think if I was an officer who did not realize that this car was not driving itself, I would get up to the car and be very confused. After though, I would probably laugh about it. Very fortunate that the office recognized that it was driving itself.

• ethanc-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:25 a.m.

This just proves that even though we are making a huge scientific break through with the self driving car we are not quite there yet. It was below the speed limit though so it was not a life threatening situation but imagine if one were to go over the speed limit and no one to stop it.

• nathanj-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:26 a.m.

This article is interesting because of there was no driver in the seat which obviously is a problem.Don't monitor the self driving cars with a camera, monitor it with a person in the self driving car.

• heatherv-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:32 a.m.

I think it's only a matter of time before everyone is sitting behind the wheel of a self-driving car. Also, I think it's interesting that the police officer pulled the car over because it was going to slow, and not because it didn't have a driver.

• henrym-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:33 a.m.

No ticket was issued to the car since there was no driver. The police sill told Google that the Google car was impeding traffic.I think the article was very good. It explained how there are flaws with self driving cars.

• brandonc-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:33 a.m.

I think that some people need these cars, like senior citizens, to help them drive, but I don't think it's necessary to have every car on the road needs to be one of these. It's really cool that they have self-driving cars, but the cars, as described in this article, might make mistakes.

• isaacd1-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:34 a.m.

I think there was no need for the police officer to pull the car over it was going the speed limit.He pulled it over because it was slowing down traffic, when the main reason I think he pulled the car over is because he didn't want the google car on the road.

• lukeb1-lam
    11/18/2015 - 09:34 a.m.

That would be very odd if you were the officer and you looked in the car and nobody was there. I think that it was also well taken that he didn't give them a ticket because all the car was doing was going under the speed limit by a few miles an hour and so nobody would really get hurt. Hopefully Google will find their mistake and make the car better and more suitable for the road.