Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back This photo provided by General Mills shows a box of Classic Trix cereal. (Courtesy of General Mills via AP/frankileon/flickr)
Original Trix, made with artificial colors, is coming back

Trix is back to its old tricks: The colorful cereal will once again be made with artificial dyes and flavors, nearly two years after they were banished from the cereal.

Food maker General Mills said Thursday that while Classic Trix will return to supermarket shelves in October, it will also continue to sell the version without artificial colors and flavors.

"We heard from many Trix fans that they missed the bright vibrant colors and the nostalgic taste of the classic Trix cereal," said spokesman Mike Siemienas, explaining the move, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

In early 2016, General Mills switched to using natural sources for color, such as turmeric, strawberries and radishes. Its hope was that the change would appeal to parents who are increasingly concerned about what ingredients are in their food. But the cereal lost its famous neon colors, and the blue and green pieces had to go because the company couldn't find natural replacements.

General Mills Inc. said it is also working on bringing back another fan favorite: Trix made in shapes of fruits, which it stopped selling a decade ago to return to round pieces.

The Minneapolis-based company said about 90 percent of its cereals, including Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and Golden Grahams, are still made with no artificial flavors or colors.

Why do people prefer Trix with artificial colors and flavors?

• jamiyac-cel
    9/27/2017 - 11:51 a.m.

I think people prefer Trix with artificial colors because they're more visual appealing. Changing Trix's shapes into shapes of fruit , I believe , would increase the selling of the cereal.

• samirad-cel
    9/27/2017 - 12:13 p.m.

I like that they actually pay attention to the wants of their consumers. It's nice that they are trying to meet the wants of parents that are concerned about their children's health, yet they also are respecting the thoughts and concerns of people who preferred the original brand. It would be best to keep both.

• kiannar-cel
    9/27/2017 - 12:32 p.m.

People prefer Trix artificial colors and flavors because of the neon color of the cereal and for the nostalgic taste. I like that the company began making the cereal with the artificial colors and flavors again because those are fan favorites and that helps the cereal sell boxes. I also agree with the strategy of keeping the cereal that is made with no artificial flavors on the shelves because those parents that don't like those flavors have access to buy them.

• jaya-cot
    9/27/2017 - 01:00 p.m.

People prefer Trix with artificial colors and flavors rather than natural colors and flavors for many reasons. In the text it states that Trix fans missed the bright vibrant colors and the nostalgic taste of the classic Trix cereal. In the text it also states that General Mills believed the change would attract parents who are increasingly concerned about what ingredients are in their food. But the cereal lost its famous neon colors, and the blue and green pieces had to go because the company couldn't find natural replacements. Therefore General Mills Inc. will be going back to its classic style of the bright neon cereal.

• NicholasM-pay1
    9/27/2017 - 02:15 p.m.

I'm happy Trix came back. I ate it as a kid, but then I heard that it got banned and I didn't see it in stores anymore.

• Cal-bla
    10/19/2017 - 11:40 a.m.

today I read about how Trix is returning to natural colors. Although I also enjoy the vibrant colors, my parents do not like my family to have a lot of unhealthy foods. I have no clue on which side to take. I enjoy the vibrant colors. But on the other hand, it is much more healthy to use non-artificial colors in the Trix cereal. Personally, I think they need to go back to a healthier state!

• Navi-bla
    10/19/2017 - 11:44 a.m.

People prefer Trix with the artificial colors and flavors because people thought it was nostalgic and missed the old Trix. They wanted the old colors like neon green and blue. I think they are right to think this is right and want the original taste back. I want the same taste back even though it is artificial.