But officer, I was only trying to help! Below left, a Maserati resembling a police cruiser sits parked along the shore in Quincy, Mass. A new Maserati appears in a showroom, below (- AP photos / Getty Images)
But officer, I was only trying to help!

Police patrol cars are usually Fords or Chryslers, not Maseratis.

So when a patrolman in Braintree spotted a Maserati resembling a police cruiser, he pulled it over.

Deputy Chief Wayne Foster tells The Patriot Ledger newspaper the luxury Italian vehicle's body was painted black and white with a police-style shield on the doors, and police-related decals.

Foster said the door shield wasn't accompanied by the usual police phrase "Protect and Serve." Instead, it said "Decepticons punish and enslave."

The driver told the officer who pulled him over that he was actually assisting police "because other drivers noticed him and slowed down, thinking it was a police vehicle."

The driver, whose name was not made public, was summoned to court to face a charge of impersonating a police officer.

Critical thinking challenge: Was the Maserati owner providing a public service? How could this be a bad thing for regular people or police?

• JoeKelly24
    8/15/2014 - 09:00 a.m.

So, recently a civilian painted a Maserati to look like a cop car, which got him pulled over and placed under arrest. Despite the fact this guy was impersonating a police officer he was trying to do a civil service to assist police officers. However, he was tricking people into thinking he was something that he wasn't. It would be very interesting to find out if his theory worked though. In short, a man impersonated a police officer to make people stop speeding, and got arrested for it.

• ARany-Cas
    9/10/2014 - 05:10 p.m.

I think there shouldn't be cars like that because what if that fake car pulls you over and pulls out gun and you get robbed and that is another way for robbers to steel and kidnap. I think the police are good on there own and do not need any help from other people, I mean it is a good idea but its dangerous for other people and scary.

• Aw2001soccer
    9/11/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

This is a bad thing for police and regular people because some people might think that that is a police car and impersonating a police officer is illegal the driver of the vehicle was not providing a public service its not a police vehicle and it shouldn't look like one

• Tylere-Lam
    9/30/2014 - 01:34 p.m.

The man in the Maserati is committing a crime and he should be punished. Is it really a bad thing? People might think its a real police car and drive better around him so it could be a positive thing. Still you cant claim to be a police officer because its against the law. The guy had a good idea and a really cool car, but he got in trouble.

• haydenha
    10/27/2014 - 01:50 p.m.

I don't think this was a public service. I just think this was a guy who wanted to see how far he could push the law with his fancy car and paid the price for it. I say he deserved what he got.

• MEdgar-Sti
    10/30/2014 - 05:34 p.m.

when i first saw this picture i actually thought it was a police car. i would of slowed down if i would have saw this on the street. i think it funny because the cop pulled it over for thinking it was a cop.

• NicolFigueroa
    11/08/2014 - 07:24 p.m.

Obviously the Maserati owner wasnt providing a public service. No one normal (I meant a person who knows that there was an illegal action) would do that. The Maserati owner probably was joking or taking advantages of his car. He doesn0t care if people slow down the speed of their cars; I think no one does. The bad or harmful issue of that car is that the owner would take advantages illegally. Once I saw a movie called lets be cops, that movie tells the story of two friends who dressed up as police officers for a costume party, they liked the idea of being police officers since everybody thought they actually were. So they painted a car and they pretended to be police officers. Of course after all they were in big troubles. Still being a fun idea though.

• Jefferys-Lam
    11/26/2014 - 10:39 a.m.

I think that it was a good thing. If the car was made like that the guy shouldn't of got in trouble. The guy was helping the police anytime someone seen his car they slowed down. That was a good thing but it is considered impersonating an officer. You will get in a lot of trouble for that.

• jacob.francel46
    12/04/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

That was actually a brilliant idea, a lot of people drive too fast. Painting your car as a police car, will slow those speed-demons down tons. If I was able to drive I would do this too.

• Garrett.smith90
    2/17/2015 - 12:52 p.m.

This article was different I've never heard of someone putting police logos on their car. In my opinion, it isn't cool of the cop to arrest the man he should have just given him a ticket. So what, if he drives around in a fake cop car. with a little bit different stickers it isn't a crime it's not the same.