Loose emu rides home in Prius In this photo taken Sept. 21, 2015, Maria Colby stands near Beatrice an Emu who had been running wild through New Hampshire in Henniker, N.H. The birds' owner, Kermit Blackwood, of Townsend, Vt., drove to Henniker and put the bird, Beatrice, in the back of his vehicle and drove back home to his farm. (Geoff Forester/The Concord Monitor via AP)
Loose emu rides home in Prius

An emu famous for running wild through New Hampshire for more than a week has been reunited with its owner and returned home safely to Vermont in the back of a Toyota Prius.

The Concord Monitor reports Kermit Blackwood figured that it was a long shot that the emu loose in New Hampshire was his bird, Beatrice. It wasn't until the Townshend, Vermont, resident traveled roughly 80 miles to the Henniker-based nonprofit Wings of the Dawn when he knew for sure.

Maria Colby, manager of the wildlife rehabilitation center, said she knew the emu was Blackwood's as soon as they were reintroduced Sept. 27. The emu moved closer to Blackwood and rolled its neck toward him, possibly recognizing him by the jacket he was wearing, Colby said.

Blackwood says Taft Hill Farm had lost two other emus about a month ago. One died after being attacked by another animal and the other was found in a neighboring town.

Getting Beatrice ready to go home wasn't easy, as Blackwood and a farm worker struggled a bit to put her into the trunk of their Prius, with the back seats folded down for extra space.

The 90-minute ride back to the farm went smoothly, after they removed a sock from the emu's head, Blackwood said.

"Everything is well," he said. "Beatrice is home."

Why was it a struggle to get Beatrice home?

• laurend-day
    10/07/2015 - 07:36 a.m.

I'm glad the emu is home safe, but im really wondering how the emu got loose in the first place? How does an emu escape and get that far without anyone knowing? There must be another issue because the farm had lost 2 other emus about a month ago. Then, the fact that they brought her home in a prius, instead of a van used to trasport wild animals, is very peculiar to me. I thought this story was odd, and random, but suprisinly enetertaining.

• baylees-day
    10/08/2015 - 05:16 p.m.

Emus are pretty cool. Just the fact that this place had already lost 2 emus prier to this means they need to do a better job watching said emus. However, it would be quite interesting to see an emu running around town, to only be caught, then shoved into the trunk of a Prius. In any case, I'm glad Beatrice is back home and safe.

• thomasm-day
    10/09/2015 - 09:06 a.m.

Emu's are fascinating creatures and are not indigenous to the northeast united states but one found its way into new hampshire. If i was this emu I would have just stayed back at my farm where my owner takes care of me. Emu's are ostrich like animals that are very big birds that can't fly. That then bring up the question, how did this emu get all the way over to vermont?

• erind-day
    10/09/2015 - 04:40 p.m.

This made me laugh a lot harder than I ever expected it to so I'm glad I chose to read this on one of the most gloomiest days this past couple weeks. I also learned from this article that you must have to blind emus in order to move them because maybe they do not like being moved. I am also curious in where emus are from and if they're indigenous to the united states or this particular person just has them for fun or breeds them. Overall I was very amused by this article and it was a nice break from all the terrible gut wrenching news that has been on the past week.

• sydnin-lam
    11/02/2015 - 01:34 p.m.

How did the emu get out in the first place? I think if you have an animal so large in the first place, you would keep a close eye on it. Maybe it was an accident, but it is just kind of confusing to me.

• bryannad-lam
    11/18/2015 - 10:41 a.m.

It was a struggle for Beatrice to get home because she was far enough away from the farm to not know where she was and once they found her, she was being stubborn and not wanting to get in the Prius.

• jennaw-lam
    11/18/2015 - 02:25 p.m.

I don't really understand how Beatrice could get loose without the farmer noticing. It seems like he would notice that one of his emus were gone. I found it odd that the emus traveled that far without anyone noticing. I think the man should fix something about the way he keeps his emus to keep them from escaping.