Little houses need new home This Feb. 21, 2016, photo shows one of several gnome homes along Fisherman's Trail in Little Buffalo State Park in Newport, Pa. (Deb Kiner/PennLive.com via AP)
Little houses need new home

Nearly 40 gnome homes have been evicted from a Pennsylvania state park after a decision change sent them packing.

Pennlive.com reports that management at Little Buffalo State Park gave permission for Steve Hoke to create the small, magical houses in December. Since then, he has made 38 tiny houses in tree roots, hollow logs and on stumps around the forest near Newport, about 25 miles northwest of Harrisburg.

He says the houses were a major attraction for children.

Park Manager Jason Baker tells the news site he gave the OK originally, but it was later decided the homes could affect wildlife habitat.

Hoke removed the little abodes after being told he had until Feb. 29.

Duncannon and Millerstown have both offered to house them in local parks.

How could the tiny houses affect wildlife?

• daytonb-3-bar
    3/04/2016 - 10:58 a.m.

The tiny houses could affect the wildlife because under tree stumps and areas like that are homes to creatures that are not fiction. Also building the homes in to the trees roots can maybe affect the trees growth and wake it weaker. My opinion on this article is that I'm curious about what the original intent was? Was the artist trying to make a deep underlying meaning or did he just do it to add some Fun and magic to the state park.

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    3/04/2016 - 12:40 p.m.

Living so close to Little Buffalo, these houses being taken away is very sad to me. I loved visiting them and not only will it take away memories but it will also affect the wildlife by taking away potential homes for them.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    3/05/2016 - 09:54 p.m.

When I first read the title of this post, I had no idea that this was in Newport. I wish I could've seen the little houses before they were taken down. Although it is sad that the houses had to be taken away, I understand how it could've negatively affected the wildlife in the park, as animals may have eaten parts of the displays.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    3/07/2016 - 02:42 p.m.

I go to Little Buffalo all the time, even during the winter. I have never noticed the little houses when walking around. I guess I need to keep an eye out for things like this more often.

• Steve0620-yyca
    3/07/2016 - 10:35 p.m.

I think that the gnome houses will be interesting to many people. Little Buffalo State Park agreed to let Steve Hoke make some houses on the trees in December. He made thirty-eight houses but they had to be removed because there was a worry about it having a negative cause on wildlife habitat. Although it was removed, two people named Duncannon and Millerstown both offered to house them in local parks. I think that the tiny houses could affect the wildlife if an animal accidentally messes around with it. Insects can also make nests in the houses or the houses may be harmful to growing plants.

• kbeatty-cel
    3/09/2016 - 09:54 a.m.

This is a cute story, but I wouldn't consider it newsworthy. It'd be more of a local attraction than a national article. However, the gnome houses are adorable and it is true that it could affect wildlife. Animals are weird about human scent on a place they consider home.

• emmac-lam
    3/11/2016 - 10:50 a.m.

The tiny houses could be harmful to the environment, forexample an animal could eat the tiny house and potentially die. But after all the work building them it is very sad.

• laurah-lam
    3/11/2016 - 10:56 a.m.

The tiny house affected the wildlife because animals might eat some of the items he had made. He is also disturbing a natural area for an animal to make into a shelter. It's sad to see the tiny houses go, but it may be for the best.

• noahi-fel
    3/30/2016 - 02:45 p.m.

Because they could affect animal habitat

• jacih-fel
    3/31/2016 - 02:18 p.m.

The tiny houses are in the way of real life animal houses.