Is it true that elephants can't jump? African elephant and calf walking, Masai Mara N.R, Kenya. (Anup Shah/Thinkstock)
Is it true that elephants can't jump?

You asked us if it's true that elephants can't jump, and yes, it's true. Adult elephants just aren't built to jump because they often weigh 16,000 or more pounds, so they're too heavy to make the leap.

Not only do they not jump, elephants never get all four feet off the ground at once - even when charging at full speed.So, technically, I guess, elephants don't actually run, they power walk.

And why should they jump? The great leapers of the animal kingdom often evolved that skill as a way of avoiding predators, but nothing in an elephant's environment, at least in their recent evolutionary past, required them to hop around.

So, despite what you may have heard, believe me when I say, elephants are earthbound.

Why did elephants never need to learn how to hop?

• briannec-ste
    4/14/2016 - 11:05 a.m.

I always thought that elephants could jump when they are scared. I guess not saying as they are that heavy.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    4/14/2016 - 01:56 p.m.

I absolutely love elephants! I think that them jumping is ridiculous because they weigh so much. Also because no animal is really likely to strike in such a way that the elephant will need to jump.

• julianf-612-
    4/14/2016 - 02:50 p.m.

Because no predetor can kill an elephant unless its a tiger/lion

• rafir-ver
    4/15/2016 - 07:53 a.m.

Yes, it is true that elephant can't jump because I think they have heavy weight to push themselves upward from the gravitational force.

• rowens-cel
    4/18/2016 - 09:53 a.m.

Elephants never needed to learn how to hop because it wouldn't help them avoid predators. They're already big enough, so they simply didn't need to hop. So, today, they can't.

• raphaelr-lam
    4/19/2016 - 10:45 a.m.

Why would people think that a 1,600 pound elephant can jump?

• kalebs1-lam
    4/19/2016 - 02:21 p.m.

I never thought about an elephant to jump. I did not know that they could not jump but I guess it makes sense because they weigh so much.

• julient-lam
    4/19/2016 - 02:23 p.m.

Elephants not being able to jump has ruined my childhood because I always wanted to fly with an elephant over a rainbow, but if the elephants can't even jump they won't be able to fly for sure.

• amelyaj-lam
    4/19/2016 - 02:27 p.m.

I love Elephants so much and this I something that has been bugging me. Now I am happy that I know that elephants cannot jump. I still love elephants so much.

• drewh-lam
    4/19/2016 - 02:28 p.m.

I think that it is pretty interesting that elephants can't jump but I do get it why they aren't able to jump because they weight so much but then again they really don't need to jump.