How much Harry Potter stuff is enough? A team member shows off an interactive magic wand at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter-Diagon Alley in Orlando, Florida (Reuters)
How much Harry Potter stuff is enough?

A man is in Hogwarts heaven after his collection of "Harry Potter" memorabilia was named the world's largest.

Menahem Asher Silva Vargas of Mexico City has spent nearly 15 years hoarding all things related to British author J.K. Rowling's young-adult wizard-fantasy series, which spawned eight blockbuster films.

His collection fills two rooms and counts everything from magic wands and toy figurines to Gryffindor scarves and replica Quidditch brooms.

Guinness World Records officially recognized it Monday as the world No. 1, at 3,097 pieces. The old mark was 807.

Silva Vargas said he began with no intent to amass a huge collection. But soon it was like being under a spell.

He laughingly called his obsession both a blessing and a curse: "My salary, my bonuses ... it all ended up here."

Critical thinking challenge: If Menahem wasnt planning on creating such a big collection, how did it happen?

• paigek-Koc
    10/03/2014 - 03:07 p.m.

I watched Harry Potter growing and I loved all the movies! I went to every midnight premiere even though I would fall asleep! This would very exciting to see in person, and to meet Silva. I do love Harry Potter but i dot think i would spend this much time and money that he has. But I mist say this is very cool and something new I learned today.

• yasming-Koc
    10/06/2014 - 12:40 a.m.

I believe it's interesting to see how much of an interest people took in Harry Potter. I remember going up with these movies and I loved them. It's cool to see the extent fans go through for items like his.

• mattf-Koc
    10/06/2014 - 03:24 a.m.

I grew out of Harry Potter many years ago. however, it seems as though this person never did. To have over 3,000 pieces in a collection all about harry potter is just ridiculous. But hey, it's what makes him happy I guess.

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 08:27 a.m.

I think that it is really cool to have the money, time, and patience to gain a awesome collection like this. I am not a huge fan of Harry Potter myself, but my friend Makenna is obsessed with the series. Her wallpaper, screeensaver, chrome theme, and whatever else are all Harry Potter theme. I hope that she doesn't find out about this man, or else she just might try to out-collect this man.

• tylere-Mal
    10/06/2014 - 08:56 a.m.

I think sometimes there's a line between a collection and an obsession. Personally i don't have anything i collect but i wouldn't spend all my money on something that =s just going to be lying around my house. I respect that he has something he's passionate about but sometimes it can be too much. I think its cool that a hobby like that can make you famous and win you a world record. I just think that he shouldn't be spending too much money or else he could end up broke.

• SAlexander-Sti
    10/06/2014 - 10:16 a.m.

Silva Vargas a man in mexico city has the larges collection of harry potter things going from magic wands, toys, figurines, Gryffindor scarves, and replicas Quidditch brooms. He says almost all of his money has gone into his collection and that he never intended to have his collection grow so big it takes up about two rooms now. Silva Vargas is now in the Guinness World Records for the biggest collection of harry potter things in the world his collection has 3,097 pieces.

• MikaylaStazewski-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

With so many people having such strong interest in Harry Potter, it is not that abnormal to hear of people's obsession with the series. However, some obsessions are taken to the extreme.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 02:32 p.m.

I can relate, two of my best friends are Potterheads. All they ever seem to talk about is their favorite quotes from the movies or the new Harry Potter jokes they just heard. They collect Harry Potter clothing, jewelry, and really anything that has to do with Harry Potter. I'm glad I'm the one who saw this and not my crazy Harry Potter fan friends, or else they would want to compete to has the most Potter collectibles.

• jarredc-Koc
    10/07/2014 - 04:42 p.m.

The world of Harry Potter is known all over the world. It is a probable outcome that someone will have a collection of HArry Potter memorabilia. J. K. Rowling's story has made it through all sorts of entertainment. It ihas been made into games, movies, and is even the theme of two amusement parks. It may continue to make an inpact on the entertainment world and the world as a whole.

• NJesse-Cas
    10/07/2014 - 07:42 p.m.

I have been a Harry Potter fan for many years. I have read all of the books and watched all of the movies. When I was younger I got a wand from the Harry Potter park in Disney. I used to love the series so much. Every time they have a marathon on TV for Harry Potter, I watch it all day long. I believe that if you are really interested in something, collecting it and learning about it can further entertain you when the movies and books are finished.