How do spiders make a web? (Thinkstock)
How do spiders make a web?

You asked us, how do spiders make a web?

Though all spiders can spin silk, only some of them use it to make webs. Now, when you think of a spider web, you're probably imagining something along the lines of this, right? (Points to web.) That particular kind of web is the handiwork of orb spiders, which begin by sending out, on the wind, a line of silk called a bridge thread, with the desperate hope that it will catch on to something.

Once that's locked down, they get to work on the main structure of the web, ending with a spiral, and this is where things get a little bit sticky, literally. The spider uses that spiral as a guide for laying down a new superglue spiral and voila! Now, all said spider has to do is sit and wait for the next meal to come along.

Amazingly, web-spinning spiders have the ability to tell the difference between the call of dinner and vibrations made by non-foodie things, like leaves.  If only the rest of us could be so discerning.

Did I just eat leaves?

Why are spider webs sticky?

• adamp-3-bar
    3/04/2016 - 04:21 a.m.

Spider webs are sticky so they can catch bugs to eat. For example, it says after a spider makes a web..."Now, all said spider has to do is sit and wait for the next meal to come along." This quote implies two things: spiders make webs to catch bugs, the webs are sticky. I am surprised by this article because I never really knew why spiders have webs. I like this article because it makes me happy because the spiders catch bugs and get to eat. I would want to see a spider do this.

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    3/04/2016 - 12:45 p.m.

This was actually very informational because I thought that all spiders spun webs with silk but now I know that they don't and I think that's a common mistake a lot of people make that this article could correct.

• michaelm1-ver
    3/04/2016 - 03:36 p.m.

One thing I would like to know, is how the silk is made and how it is always so sticky.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    3/05/2016 - 10:16 p.m.

Spider webs are sticky because, to catch prey, a spider must have a way of getting their potential food to stay on the web. The stickiness traps prey and allows the spider to eat and survive.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    3/07/2016 - 02:47 p.m.

I thought all spiders spun their webs with silk. It makes me wonder what else I have thought that was wrong.

• kbeatty-cel
    3/09/2016 - 10:21 a.m.

This is interesting because teaches a person something that they probably don't know. Many people think that spider webs are annoying because it's easy to get tangled up in. However, it takes a lot for a spider to make one and webs are an easy way to catch food.

• masons1-pro
    3/10/2016 - 11:33 a.m.

The spiders silk is on how because of its sixth sense.

• LauraB-chu
    3/16/2017 - 01:54 p.m.

The spider webs are stick because when a bug lands on it they stick to it. In there struggle to get away, they cause the web to vibrate. This tells the spider that something is caught in the web, such as it's food.

• LucyA-chu
    3/16/2017 - 01:55 p.m.

Spider webs are sticky because they need to catch their food. The food will get stuck on the web.

• KatieB-chu
    3/16/2017 - 01:57 p.m.

Spider webs are sticky because spider use them to catch their prey.