Greeks ring monument with a bread bagel Bakers put the final touches on a giant koulouri (bread ring similar to a bagel or pretzel) that encircled the medieval White Tower, in the northern Greek port city of Thessaloniki (AP photos)
Greeks ring monument with a bread bagel

Greek bakers in the northern city of Thessaloniki have made a giant "koulouri," a ring bread similar to a bagel, around the city's most visible monument, the medieval White Tower.

The bread, 540 feet in diameter, weighed 1.35 tons before baking. It is already gone, distributed to bystanders.

A "koulouri" is a staple snack, sold mostly by street vendors and can be found throughout the Balkans under different names.

Elsa Koukoumeria, president of the Thessaloniki Bakers Association, said they would try to list Sunday's feat with the Guinness Book of Records. He said they would soon bake a much bigger one to encircle the burial mound of Amphipolis. That's northeast of Thessaloniki.

Critical thinking challenge: Name two things the giant "koulouri" have in common with a basic bagel

Assigned 1 time

• ws2001wrex
    10/24/2014 - 01:06 p.m.

Two things the giant koulouri have in common are that the taste is the same and the indigents are the same too. Also, if I was there I would try that out. It'll probably taste good.

• 22103
    10/24/2014 - 01:21 p.m.

Recently the people of Greece surrounded one of their most famous locations with a circle of bread. I think that this is a good thing because they honor their past with the items of the present. I think that this is a bad thing because they have way to much tie on their hands to bake that much bread. I also find it interesting that they used that much bread to honor an old building.

• AlexisKrise
    10/24/2014 - 01:29 p.m.

I don't really understand WHY they do this.. Sure, it's to break a record but it's a bit wasteful to use so much bread. Other countries who are starving could have used that, but instead it was given to people who most likely have enough money and aren't rail thin, to the point of death. There are so many other opportunities to help the world, why not take those opportunities into your own hands and give that enormous amount of food to the less fortunate instead of bystanders who only came to see the record broken. Is this what our world has come to? Africa and other countries are STARVING, and yet we continue to make immense amounts of food, only to break a record. Is record-breaking really THAT important?

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    10/24/2014 - 01:32 p.m.

Umm... my first reaction to this is why? Why did they decide to do this? Were they trying to break a record ,or were they just making bread? After I read it, I realized that they still didn't have a reason why. But, this is still a really cool idea, and I hope that everyone enjoyed the bread!

• MadisonSch
    10/26/2014 - 08:40 p.m.

I question why a person would bake all this bread just to give it away. Exactly why they would put this bread all around a monument is what I wonder.

• Wl81800darkgray
    10/27/2014 - 08:48 a.m.

The Koulouris is oddly shaped and to big and heavy to be a normal bread. I wonder how good they taste or maybe they don't taste good but I want to try it.

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    10/27/2014 - 12:06 p.m.

I would love to try this new, unique bagel. I don't know why these people would need to bake something this large, but it is truly interesting.

• Cs2001Tardis
    10/27/2014 - 01:09 p.m.

Two things this giant koulouri have in common with a basic bagel is that it is a circle and it has a hole in the middle. Bagels are made out of dough but this one is made out of bread. I think this is very cool and different.

• maddieo-Man
    10/28/2014 - 03:10 p.m.

There is no way I would have enough time or patients to make a huge bread.It's hard enough to even deal with school I couldn't handle it.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    10/28/2014 - 06:27 p.m.

Those koulouris look good. I think it is really cool that it was handed out to people nearby instead of being thrown away or saved for looks. I wonder how many the next koulouri circle will weigh.