Give me an N. Give me a Y. (for a the highest bid) This photo shows the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York (AP photos)
Give me an N. Give me a Y. (for a the highest bid)

Some very big, familiar pieces of New York City sports history are going on the auction block, courtesy of a baseball star.

The 10-foot high letters that spelled "Yankee Stadium" atop the original Bronx ballpark are being offered for sale at Sotheby's on April 1. The auction house has estimated that the letters will sell for $300,000 to $600,000.

The owner is Yankee legend Reggie Jackson.

Mr. October bought the letters after the Yankees' last game at the stadium in 2008. They had adorned the ballpark, which was built in 1923, since 1976, so they were there when Jackson hit three consecutive home runs in the sixth game of the 1977 World Series.

The 68-year-old Hall of Famer, at spring training with the Yankees in Tampa, Florida, said through Sotheby's that he wanted "a new generation to own and enjoy this icon of the Yankees and of New York City."

"There were a few items I wanted to purchase before the old Yankee Stadium was torn down, including my old locker and a section of the black bleachers off of centerfield," he added. "But I kept thinking about the stadium lettering, and if there was any way for me to own it. I ended up making an offer and was thrilled when it was accepted. It's been a privilege to own such a recognizable piece of baseball history."

Sotheby's would not say how much Jackson paid for the letters.

Potential buyers will have to think about where to put the monumental letters. They range from 2 to 10 feet in width. They light up electric blue and are constructed of aluminum casing with Plexiglas inserts.

The "N'' and "Y'' will be displayed on the seventh floor of Sotheby's Manhattan galleries beginning March 26.

They will be part of Sotheby's "New York Sale" auction of photos, prints, jewelry and other city-related material.

Critical thinking challenge: Why might Sotheby's be reluctant to say how much Jackson paid for the letters?

• NashMcComsey-Ste
    3/24/2015 - 08:15 a.m.

I wonder why he's putting the letters up for auction. I also wonder..who would want the letters? I understand the value of them, but they would certainly be cumbersome to display.

• DT00x3
    3/24/2015 - 08:43 a.m.

Sotheby might be reluctant to say how much Jackson paid for the letters because they might think just because he onced own the Yankee stadium that the price they charge him would be less or that people know he is rich.

• lm2000food
    3/24/2015 - 01:09 p.m.

sotheby might be reluctant to say how much reggie jackson paid for the letters because he doesnt want other bidders to try to out bid him

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    3/25/2015 - 05:08 p.m.

Things like this in our world are not very surprising anymore to me. I am really surprised that people would even buy something like this, using valuable money on just the materialistic things.

• KiraWvA-4
    3/26/2015 - 09:57 p.m.

Yankee star Reggie Jackson had bought the iconic letters which had spelled out "Yankee Stadium" on the original stadium, built 1923 and used to 2008. He offered them up for auction, and the bids are expected to range from 300,000 to 600,000 dollars. These letters are two to ten feet in width and neon blue, selling in the "New York Sale" of city-related material. I went to a Yankees game in the old stadium the last season it was open (I have the shirt to prove it!) and so I like learning of the fate of the familiar letters.

• GrantW-2
    3/27/2015 - 09:46 a.m.

This article is about the selling of the N and the Y from the old Yankee Stadium. The letters are predicted to sell for $300,000 to $600,000 in the auction. The letters will be sold in Sotheby's New York Sale along with other Yankee's items and other New York items. I like this article because I want to live in New York.

• KCheyenne-Cas
    3/28/2015 - 11:10 p.m.

I love how Reggie Jackson wants a piece of his pass with him. He wants to never forget some of the greatest moments of his life there. And with the letter that spells out Yankee Stadium, he can relive the past a little. I remember as a kid my father going to a game there with a bunch of friends and how every New Yorker admired the place. It is sad to see it go but it is for a good reason. I hope a lot of things get sold at the auction.

• MadisonSch
    3/30/2015 - 01:43 p.m.

I wonder why he is putting the letters up for auction. I also wonder..who would want the letters? I understand the value of them, but what would you do with them.

• MadisonSch
    3/30/2015 - 01:43 p.m.

• treyb-Che
    3/30/2015 - 01:54 p.m.

the N and Y will be displayed the seventh floor of Southey Manhattan galleries beginning march26. they will be part of Southey new York sale auction.