Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles! An inflated Rubber Duck by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman floats on the Kunming Lake at the Summer Palace in Beijing, China, and Los Angeles at left (Reuters)
Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles!

The Port of Los Angeles is welcoming the world's biggest bath toy, a 60-foot-tall rubber duck, which sailed into port Wednesday to kick off the Tall Ships Festival LA and was to remain in the harbor through Sunday.

Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman first showed off his duck in 2007 and since then, versions of it have been seen worldwide. Hofman's creation was part of a tour named "Spreading joy around the world," where the artist wanted those who see the giant duck to recall their childhood memories.

The giant duck is made of PVC and has more than 200 pieces. The staff for the duck can go inside through an opening in the back and an electric fan is inside so the duck can be inflated.

The giant duck has traveled the world, including the Netherlands, England, Australia, Brazil and China. The first American city it visited was Pittsburgh and next was Norfolk, Va.

Hofman has built a new duck for most locations and the artist's website says little about his intent but it says the duck knows no borders, does not discriminate and has no political allegiance. "The friendly, floating Rubber Duck has healing properties: it can relieve mondial tensions as well as define them," the website claims.

Critical thinking challenge: Can a giant, inflatable yellow duck be art? And if it is art, what does it mean?

• Damikus123
    8/27/2014 - 08:55 a.m.

This was an bad idea to create a giant rubber ducky because its not an tubocean toy. Also who's gona play withthis giant in the ocean. A 60-foot rubber ducky traveling LA had to be disturbing but also hularious.Also it was this was aprt of the Ships Festivle in LA.

• AllisonLogan1
    8/28/2014 - 08:35 p.m.

A 60 foot tall rubber duck is really cool to bring back your childhood. That's a good thing that adults could see this duck and have memories of their childhood and feel young again. A bad thing is that it could deflate while they are in sea. To me, I think it's very interesting that there is a 60 foot tall duck in sea.

• DB070201green
    9/05/2014 - 01:17 p.m.

It can't be art its all rubber who would really think this could be art why not just make it a small one like all the others

• Aw2001soccer
    10/06/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

if it is art it could symbolize many things it depends who put it there and the reason it may symbolize the ships or the things in the water art can be anything

• BrandonT-4
    10/09/2014 - 08:28 p.m.

I think that this rubber duck is a waste of money. The duck id like 6 stories high and barley gets under bridges. It's somewhat cool, but could be used for something else.

My dad saw it when he was working and he said it was the largest duck he ever seen. he sent me a oic and it was hilarious, but i think it is a waist of money.

• Purplewhiskers
    10/10/2014 - 01:40 p.m.

I'm not quite sure if this can be considered art. But hey I'm not an expert. It's really fun to look at anyway. I mean who can say that they saw a giant rubber duck in L.A? Not many.

• RSydnee-Sti
    10/17/2014 - 01:45 p.m.

How does that giant duck bring back memories to people who see this? I don't get this because its just a big duck a big rubber duck.

• CStacey-Sti
    10/17/2014 - 01:53 p.m.

Never be able to think or look at toys, or bath toys the same way again . How will it bring back memories Its just a rubber duck?

• MadisonSch
    10/26/2014 - 08:45 p.m.

I would die to see this gigantic duck just freely roaming in the water. Going inside the duck and exploring it would be the best day of my life.

• charlotteg-Fit
    10/29/2014 - 05:56 p.m.

I think the duck should be considered art. It's a creative, original work that reminds people of how beautiful and entertaining something so simple can be. The rubber duck is a symbol of shared beginnings and how even though we are all so different with changing views, we can all share a love of something so basic as a rubber duck. I think it is certainly art, art doesn't have to be on a canvas. So much has been done in the way of modern art and if colored squares and pop art cartoon characters can be put on display than I see no reason why a massive rubber duck can't be art either. While it's not the most conventional, it doesn't need to be, one of the great things about art is that it's about taking new steps and making new things that people can relate to, this duck does all of those things and I think that makes it worth recognizing it for what it is, a work of art.