Flying for 15 hours nonstop  fun or boring? The Qantas A380 (Getty Images)
Flying for 15 hours nonstop fun or boring?

The world's biggest passenger plane has been placed on the world's longest airline route.

A Qantas Airbus A380 touched down Monday at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, about 15 hours after leaving Sydney, Australia, on the 8,578-mile journey.

The double-deck, four-engine jet was greeted with a water-cannon salute, then taxied to a two-story gate that was configured just for the behemoth.

The inaugural flight carried a full load of 484 passengers, according to a Qantas airlines spokesman.

DFW is a large airport with connecting flights throughout the U.S. and Latin America, making it ideal for the plane and the route. But the A380's size also limits its appeal. Smaller planes such as Boeing's latest, the 787, are more economical on many routes.

Qantas previously flew the Sydney-Dallas route with the Boeing 747, which required a stopover in Brisbane, Australia.

"The 747 served us really well, but it doesn't have the range of the A380," said Qantas Senior Executive Vice President Vanessa Hudson. "The A380 is much bigger, so we can actually now provide 10 percent additional capacity."

For travelers wishing to fly the new route, it won't be cheap. Hudson said tickets are roughly $1,900 in economy. Tickets are double that for the roomier seats in premium economy, $7,000 for business class and $12,000 to $13,000 for first class, where the airline tosses in a set of pajamas and a sheepskin mattress.

The special A380 gate at DFW was to be used again this week, when the airline Emirates begins flying the huge plane between Dallas and Dubai.

Critical thinking challenge: For Quantas, what are the advantages of the A380 over the 747?

• BAlyssa-Sti
    10/03/2014 - 10:01 a.m.

Riding on a plane for that long would be very boring. That airport is very big. I would hate to be on a plane for that long. I don't think I could ever do it.

• jordant-Koc
    10/03/2014 - 10:56 a.m.

This is crazy! First off I'd be paranoid in a double decker airplane and I would not be comfortable in it what so ever. Secondly, the prices are absolutely ridiculous but it must be nice if you can afford the first class. If I had an extra $13,000 to spend, I don't think it would be on a plane ride.

• ws2001wrex
    10/03/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

The advantages the A380 has over the 747 is that its 10% bigger and can flying in a larger range compared to the 747.

• TF00Music
    10/03/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

Well they will got more money for the long hour flight across the pacific or Atlantic oceans. Since they fit more people, it makes since that they would appreciate the more seats than the 787. To be honest, I think that the A-380 is a good plane. I like it.

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    10/03/2014 - 01:24 p.m.

I could not imagine flying on a plane for 15 hours. When I went to Flordia, my mom and I were on the plane for a long time. I wish those people the best of luck.

• joshz-Koc
    10/03/2014 - 03:14 p.m.

Flying scares me a lot, so i doubt I would ever get onto this. Its cool how they can fit more people on the airplane but i would be scared if there is more then usual. The price for them is crazy high too and i don't see my self ever paying that to fly some where. But over all this is really exciting that were coming out with new technology.

• joshz-Koc
    10/03/2014 - 03:15 p.m.

• havenr-Koc
    10/05/2014 - 03:52 p.m.

This plane is huge first of all. Second of all it has two decks... it's like a double decked bus that they have now a days except, it flies! This massive machine is a very impressive mechanism but it's also a very pricey one too. I don't even like to fly and I sure wouldn't pay any extra to be on a double-Decker plane!

• zarid-Koc
    10/05/2014 - 07:03 p.m.

Flying nonstop for 15 hours seems a little boring and it will cause a lot of pain after you get off the plane.
    Also I think it would give me the chance to look at my surroundings and take notes on what I see.

• coreyong-Koc
    10/05/2014 - 11:01 p.m.

this would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be morethis would be bor me this would be more