Family gets visit from orphaned bear cub, feeds him apples In this Oct. 20, 2015 photo, a bear cub, who was found wandering near the Bear River near Chinook, Wash., sits in a trap, to give his mother one last chance to find him. He has been taken to a wildlife rehabilitation facility by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife after being discovered by the Hazen family, which fed him apple slices. (Natalie St. John/The Chinook Observer via AP)
Family gets visit from orphaned bear cub, feeds him apples

A family from southwest Washington had an unexpected visitor.

A small black bear cub wandered along Erica and Bruce Hazen's country road, peeking into their kitchen through a glass door.

One evening, the cub stood alone in the rain, looking for a way into the couple's home, just across the mouth of the Columbia River from Astoria.

The Daily Astorian reports the family fed the cub apple slices.

After the mother bear didn't appear for two nights, the Hazens called the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.

A wildlife official captured the cub into a bear trap, with the help of more apple slices.

Because he's healthy, the cub will be taken to a rehabilitation facility where other bear cubs are being raised. The hope is that he'll eventually be released into the wild.

Why might the family have fed the bear cub apple slices?

• sierrab-ste
    11/09/2015 - 04:34 p.m.

Awe, that poor baby bear. At least he's being taken care of now properly instead of trying to fend for himself. It's good that there are people out there that want the best for animals and will help them to get that.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    11/10/2015 - 01:45 p.m.

The idea that the family took good care of the bear cub makes my heart melt. I hope that someday everyone can be like them without making a huge grievance out of it. This story restored a little bit of my faith in humanity.

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    11/10/2015 - 02:36 p.m.

They could tell that the bear was alone with no mom and because of that they probably assumed he wasn't getting enough food.

• matthewc-day
    11/10/2015 - 05:30 p.m.

Being an avid outdoorsman I love nature and I love to see how people and animals can coexist peacefully. I think it is very interesting how the bear cub was smart enough to come to the glassdoor so he could look into the house. This just shows how intelligent animals really are. I'm also very impressed with the way the people handled this situation. They did what was right and they called the Wildlife department to take care of this poor lonely cub. I hope that this bear remains healthy and can be released back into the wild where he belongs.

• thomasm-day
    11/11/2015 - 09:56 a.m.

Being the baby cub in that situation I would be scared and terrified. The couple could have just let it keep walking out in the rain alone, cold and hungry but they didn't. The couple out of the kindness of their heart knew that the cub was hungry and gave him a couple slices of apples. The cub took on his way and the wildlife people show up to help the bear back to wild when he is ready. That was the right move to make by both the couple and the wildlife people to help that bear in that situation.

• baylees-day
    11/12/2015 - 08:39 p.m.

That's so cute. I want to feed a baby bear apple slices, props to that family for not just leaving him there. I hope the bear can be released back to the wild soon.

• tylerl-day
    11/16/2015 - 03:02 p.m.

I bet someone shot the mother. It's terrible, but it's probably true. Mother bears are very protective over their young and definitely would not have left the cub if she were alive. Though, the family probably is lucky the mother was not there, for there would've been a completely different title to this article. It would read, "Bear Attack Kills Family of Four".

• erind-day
    11/16/2015 - 06:09 p.m.

I think it was a nice thing the family did by feeding the bear and see no harm to it. I'm curious as to where the mother bear went and if the Washington wild life department were able to locate it because that would've been good to know reading this. I'm also wondering why the cub had to go through rehabilitation instead of just putting it back into the wild. Maybe the mother bear didn't appear because she was afraid of humans like many other animals who view us as threats which in most instances we are.

• lukem-lam
    11/18/2015 - 11:44 a.m.

It is interesting how bears can think the way they do and figure out places to go to and how to do strange things. Animals now are becoming smarter every year.

• loganm1-lam
    11/18/2015 - 01:18 p.m.

I think that the only reason why the bear cub lived is because of the family feeding him apple slices. So I think that it is very nice that the family fed him and kept him alive. Also they called the Washington Humane Society which, was the right thing to do because now the cub can live with other bears.