Driving to Boston? Bedda use yah blinkah! An electronic highway sign on Interstate 93 in Boston
Driving to Boston? Bedda use yah blinkah!

Maybe the reason notoriously aggressive Boston drivers don't use their turn signals is that no one's ever put it in terms they understand.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation on Friday changed that by posting messages on electronic highway signs around the city that read: "Changing Lanes? Use Yah Blinkah."

"Blinkah" is how Bostonians pronounce "blinker," otherwise known as a turn signal.

The signs are scheduled to stay up through the Mother's Day on Sunday, which state officials say is one of the busiest traffic days of the year.

Drivers who fail to use their "blinkah" when changing lanes on a Massachusetts highway are subject to a fine. Police across the state handed out almost 5,000 tickets for the offense last year.

Critical thinking challenge: Why would people in Boston pay more attention to a sign that said blinkah instead of blinker?

• savannahf-5
    5/12/2014 - 12:52 a.m.

This article is about one of the driving laws in Massachusetts. In Massachusetts, a lot of people didn't use their blinker because it wasn't in terms they "understood". On the freeways, they recently put up electronic highway signs saying, "Use yah blinkah". They put this up because people in Massachusetts say "blinkah" not blinker. Many policemen gave out tickets for this last year. I think this is good way to remind people to use their blinker. It is enforcing the law but in a funny way .

• christopherh-Koc
    5/12/2014 - 02:34 a.m.

I find this hilarious because I'm from Massachusetts and I've seen how my family from there talks. I think it people will definitely pay more attention to that. I used to have an accent when I was younger so it's hilarious reading this.

• aaronh-Koc
    5/12/2014 - 08:21 a.m.

These signs the city has put are really smart for the drivers. It's even funnier that it was written in a Boston accent to use their turning signals. I have heard from friends that have lived in Boston, how people drive a little more freely and get in many accidents. Now there's the proof that about five thousand fines were given last year for not using their turning signals when changing lanes.

• JD27FASHION
    5/12/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

In Boston they have a sign that says "Use Yah Blinkah", which in proper English means use your blinker. I think people in Boston pay more attention to "blinkah" then blinker, because its in their slang. Blinkah is what they are used to. Just like people who don't use blinkah will be used to blinker and will pay more attention to it.

• melissaj-Ste
    5/12/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

That sign makes me laugh. If I were driving, this would definitely catch my attention because it's not spelled right, it's spelled how it is pronounced. Maybe this misspelling will help people remember to use their "blinkah".

• KalynSi
    5/12/2014 - 01:53 p.m.

It's not a good thing that the Massachusetts Department of Transportation has to change "blinker" to "blinkah" just because that is how they talk in Boston. People who are visiting aren't going to know what that means if that is not how they speak. It is creating a danger hazard for so many people.

• EthanH-5
    5/12/2014 - 07:14 p.m.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has posted messages on their electronic signs that read "Changing Lanes? Use Yah Blinkah." They hope that this will get the attention of the notoriously aggressive drivers. The police gave out nearly 5000 tickets last year to drivers who failed to signal.

This is a good idea. Using "blinkah" instead of "blinker" will get some drivers attention. Hopefully, they'll get a chuckle and remember to use their signals. I've been to Boston and the drivers are crazy. Everybody is honking and yelling and pedestrians are fair targets.

• Ashleyjd1
    5/13/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

It's bad that people have to be told what to do when they are changing lanes instead of just doing what they're suppose to. They should know that that's a good way to cause a crash too.

• jv9red
    5/13/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

I think the reson why the sign was writinen like this, was to make fun of the way people from boston talk as a form of joke.

• Zues3
    5/14/2014 - 11:50 a.m.

I love the accents that they have. I never knew that people from Boston were aggressive drivers. its good to know since I may be heading there.