Dog trapped in volcano? It can happen. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii’s Big Island (AP Photo/Caleb Jones/Thinkstock)
Dog trapped in volcano? It can happen.

A Big Island family was reunited with its dog after a rescue team removed the Labrador retriever trapped in a crack in the earth at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

Volcano resident Marta Caproni and her boyfriend were walking the 4-year-old chocolate Lab, Romeo, and his littermate, Tommy, at the park Oct. 4 when Romeo ran off and disappeared, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper reported.

"We had no idea that to the left of this gravel area, there is a major crack in the earth about 20 feet deep," she said. "Romeo went jumping around this area and disappeared.  We couldn't tell he had fallen in."

Caproni said they tracked Romeo's faint whining and discovered that it was coming from deep inside a crack.

A rescue team was able to remove Romeo by sending in a park ranger, Arnold Nakata, and a park news release said he found the dog apparently unhurt.

"When they pulled him up, he came walking toward me unharmed, happy as he could be," Caproni said. "He was rolling around in the grass and went back to the park rangers and kissed them."

Dogs must be on leashes at all times in areas of the park where they are permitted, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park spokeswoman Jessica Ferracane said.

"There have been cases where animals have fallen into steam vents, never to be seen again," she said. "Luckily, this turned out with a happy ending."

Caproni has lived across from the entrance to the park for 15 years. She says the dogs are obedient, so she would let them run off-leash - something she doesn't plan to do again.

What could have prevented this problem?

• erino-6-bar
    10/13/2015 - 06:46 p.m.

This problem could have been easily prevented if the family had simply kept their dogs on a leash. They had said they let them run off-leash because they are obedient but in places where there are cracks in the ground or anything that could harm the dogs they should be kept on a leash to prevent them from getting hurt.

I was shocked that anyone would allow their dogs to run around without a leash when there are cracks in the ground. I was also surprised that the dog didn't get hurt when he fell.

• matthewc-pay
    10/14/2015 - 11:13 a.m.

This is a funny, interesting article. I laughed when I read this.I guess you should keep an eye on your pets no matter where you are.

• graysone-pay
    10/14/2015 - 12:54 p.m.

The dogs owners should've have had a leash on the dog. Also there should have been a way to tell the tourists that there is a deep crack in the earth so that the owners could have kept their distance from it. There could also be a fence put up to block peoples pets from going close.

• calvinh-4-bar
    10/14/2015 - 09:40 p.m.

If the dog were tied to a leash this problem could have easily be prevented. I think it would be silly to leave a dog untied outside near a volcano.

• baylees-day
    10/15/2015 - 09:23 p.m.

Well then. I happy to hear the puppy was rescued and safe, but I would think the dog would be hurt from falling 20 feet into the crack of a volcano! Also people can live on volcanoes? I did not know that was a thing. None the less, now everyone knows that if you're walking your dog on a volcano, keep them on a lease to prevent them from falling into said volcano.

• ianc-day
    10/16/2015 - 11:00 a.m.

The poor dog must have been scared to death. Why would you let a dog off the leash near a volcano? Of course my dog would probably have done the same thing. Must have been weird for the dog to just disappear. This could have been prevented by putting the dog on a leash.

• erind-day
    10/16/2015 - 11:28 a.m.

As said in the article this could have been prevented if they kept the dog on the leash the whole time but thankfully the owner will do that from now on. If that were me I don't think I would walk my dog around such a dangerous area since I am aware of how difficult and explosive volcanic areas are. This article also makes me wonder how many animals have fallen into these death traps or even humans that we were not aware of. I'm glad the dog is okay but the owner should not blame anything besides there self and to make sure they watch their dog more closely after this incident.

• maddyc-Orv
    10/16/2015 - 12:23 p.m.

The only things that could have prevented the dog from jumping in is if he had a leash on him. Another thing they could've done to prevent it is to NOT bring your dog to a VOLCANO. I thought that last one was a given.

• mathewb-day
    10/16/2015 - 01:39 p.m.

It's understandable that your dog is obedient but an animal in the distance or a loud noise can send a pet wild, I always use a leash when taking him outside , but that;s just me.

• taylorr-day
    10/16/2015 - 01:43 p.m.

The dog being on a leash couldve prevented it from running away from its owners and falling into the crack. I also dont think it was smart for the owners to take the dogs to a volcano park for a walk, lost of dangerous things couldve happened and theyre very lucky it wasnt anything too serious.