Dogs stomach was chock full of socks!
Dogs stomach was chock full of socks! This X-ray shows the dogs stomach. The socks the dog ate appear at left after they were removed (AP photos)
Dogs stomach was chock full of socks!
Lexile: 1130L

Assign to Google Classroom

A 3-year-old Great Dane was miserable when its owners took him to an emergency animal hospital.

X-rays showed a stomach full of "a large quantity of foreign material" and nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee had the answer: The dog had consumed 43 1/2 socks.

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch said it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. So strange that the hospital entered a contest sponsored by the vet magazine, Veterinary Practice News, and won a prize.

Fittingly enough, the contest is called "They Ate WHAT?"

The $1,500 first-place winner was a Plano, Texas, animal hospital that treated an exotic frog that ate more than 30 small ornamental rocks from its cage.

The Portland hospital's entry summary says the Great Dane went home a day after surgery.

Tom Hallman Jr. of described the Great Dane's symptoms this way: Imagine eating five large pizzas in one sitting.

During the surgery, Hallman reported that the vet must have thought she was working in a department store as she pulled out sock after sock after sock and in the end, Dr. Magee removed 43 1/2 socks. No one knows what happened to the other half sock.

The Portland hospital won $500 for second place in the contest and the money will help low-income people pay for vet bills.

Critical thinking challenge: What could have happened to the other half of sock?

Source URL:

Filed Under:  
Assigned 99 times

  • TaylorSeifert-Ste
    9/07/2014 - 08:53 p.m.

    Wow!!! Forty-three and a half socks, the owner must have a huge sock drawer if they didn't notice all of them missing. This should go in the World Record Book "Most socks eaten by a dog".

  • jasonm-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 10:39 p.m.

    I think that this is crazy that i read this because my dog has done the same thing. I have a Doberman and she ate 3 socks before and we had to take her to the animal hospital.

  • jonahh-Koc
    9/08/2014 - 12:10 a.m.

    the sock could have not been eaten fully. the sock could have made it out of the other end. There could have been a full 44 socks inside and the vet said there was 33 and a half to make the story more interesting.

  • sl2000soccer
    9/08/2014 - 08:47 a.m.

    I think the dog ate the 43 socks, and when he ate the other half sock he was so sick that he left the other half of the sock where he ate them. I am guessing that the family that owns this dog will see the half of the sock when they get to their house.

  • ShaniaWentz-Ste
    9/08/2014 - 01:11 p.m.

    I can actually relate to this because my cousin Chelsea's chocolate lab, Miley, was acting really strange and sick. Chelsea was cleaning, and yelled down the stairs, "Mom, where are my leggings"? Turns out, Miley ate them. The next week when Chelsea took Miley out for a walk, out came Chelsea's leggings... in one piece! She was happy and grossed out at the same time.

  • GigiSylvester-Ste
    9/08/2014 - 01:15 p.m.

    Wow that would have to have been really painful for the dog. I wonder what could have happened to the other half of the sock.

  • GD2000marine
    9/08/2014 - 01:15 p.m.

    What could've happened to the other half of the socks, that it could've come out as a form of waste, or even could've been regurgitated. I still can't believe that dog ate that much socks.

  • GigiSylvester-Ste
    9/08/2014 - 01:15 p.m.

    Wow that would have to have been really painful for the dog. I wonder what could have happened to the other half of the sock.

  • ma2000dragonball
    9/08/2014 - 01:18 p.m.

    What I think hap-pended to the other half of the sock was that it got so stuck in the dog's stomach that it got lost in there. It is probably so deep in there that the dog cant feel it and no one else can see it.

  • paigek-Koc
    9/09/2014 - 01:02 a.m.

    This story is kinda similar to what happened to my dog, she ate about five rocks. My dog, Pepper for about two weeks wouldn't eat all of her food and we couldn't figure out why that was. she always ate her food in an instant before hand. We took her to the vet and found out she had ate rocks are could possibly be put down if the surgery didn't go right. Luckily it went great all though she did have to stay at the vets for a week she was okay. But how a dog manages to eat rocks or socks its crazy to me.

Take the Quiz Leave a comment