Congress welcomes sledders on Capitol Hill Bashon Mann and his children sled down a hill at the Capitol as snow falls in Washington, D.C. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
Congress welcomes sledders on Capitol Hill

It took an act of Congress, but the children of Washington were finally welcome to sled on Capitol Hill.

With a major blizzard hitting Washington, the U.S. Capitol Police said Jan. 21 that they wouldn't enforce -- as in years past -- a sledding ban. The law forbids sledding in order to protect the Capitol grounds. But in legislation that cleared Congress in December, lawmakers instructed the cops to chill out.

In prior years, Capitol police officers reluctantly enforced the ban. Last year, however, revelers orchestrated a "sled-in" with the full support of Washington's nonvoting delegate, Democrat Eleanor Holmes Norton, and a complement of media covering the story. The police stood aside, avoiding the embarrassment and media coverage that would have come from breaking up the fun.

Enter the powerful House Appropriations Committee, whose chairman has an office overlooking a prime sledding spot. The panel added language to a government funding bill that instructed the Capitol Police to "forbear enforcement" of the ban "when encountering snow sledders on the grounds."

The police were still there, but this time they watched to make sure the kids were having a safe time of it.

What makes Capitol Hill good for sledding?

• justinl-pay
    1/27/2016 - 10:55 a.m.

I think it is a good thing that Congress is allowing kids to sled at Capital Hill. The reason that Capital Hill is great for sledding is because of how steep the Hill is.

• savanahg-pay
    1/27/2016 - 11:14 a.m.

There's a slope that makes it better for sledding and plus it's a nice large area for kids to have fun. So I think it was great that they allowed the public to sled there after such a harsh blizzard.

• lynnv1-pay
    1/27/2016 - 12:17 p.m.

It makes it a good sledding spot because it has a good height and a good slope/angle for sliding down a hill as it will go really fast making it more fun.

• rishonas1-pay
    1/27/2016 - 12:20 p.m.

i think it is very nice of the congress to allow the kids to sled at capital hill .. it gives them a chance to have some fun before the blizzard hits and they can barely enjoy doing anything at all.

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    1/28/2016 - 02:35 p.m.

Capitol Hill is good for sledding because, as its name makes obvious, it is a hill. Hills are good for sledding because they give the sled riders momentum to fly down the snowy hill, which is a lot of fun.

• briannec-ste
    1/28/2016 - 05:09 p.m.

I personally love big hills to sled down when it snows. There are none around town and I have to go out where my dad lives. If I were the cops I would have brought a sled with me and went down with the kids.

• zeusr-3-bar
    1/28/2016 - 09:29 p.m.

A snow storm just hit Capitol Hill so it has big hills so that kids can sled on this hill and have fun

My opinion on this is that I Would love to ride this hill or do other snow activity.

• danac-mea
    1/29/2016 - 10:11 a.m.

Capitol Hill is a great place to go sledding because it is a very steep hill, and it's a great way for the kids of D.C. to go outside and get some fresh air and have some fun after such a harsh blizzard. I think that Congress made a smart decision by allowing people to sled on Capitol Hill because it will make the people happy. Also, law enforcement was present while people were sledding so that they could make sure that everyone had a fun and safe time while at Capitol Hill.

• maxwellc-3-bar
    2/01/2016 - 07:19 p.m.

What makes Capitol Hill good for sledding is the extreme snow storm that has been affecting the Eastern seaboard. As they stated, "With a major blizzard hitting Washington, the U.S. Capitol Police said Jan. 21 that they wouldn't enforce -- as in years past -- a sledding ban." Obviously, Congress knows that there is really no reason in having a ban to protect the grounds and they allowed kids to have fun. I agree with them on this occasion.

• Steve0620-yyca
    2/01/2016 - 11:04 p.m.

I think that it is great that the no-sledding rule was removed for the children in Washington. There was a major blizzard that occurred and the Capitol Police said that they wouldn't enforce a sledding ban. The law forbids sledding in order to protect the Capitol grounds but it was removed from a legislation. I think that many people was glad to hear that there wouldn't be a sledding ban anymore. Many people supported the idea of getting rid of the sledding ban and the Congress carried the action. I think that many people can now sled freely and be happy.