Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel This combination of images provided by Facebook shows a sample post featuring the social network's Reactions buttons. Instead of the "dislike" button many users have been clamoring for, Facebook is testing out buttons that represent the emotions of love, yay, ha ha, wow, angry and sad. (Facebook/AP Images)
Coming to Facebook: 6 new ways to express how you feel

Sometimes "Like" just doesn't cut it. So how about Love or Angry? Haha or Sad? Or just Yay or Wow?

Facebook is going "Inside Out" on the Like button, adding a range of new emotional reactions to the iconic thumbs-up icon it launched in 2009.

You won't see the new emoji right away unless you live in Ireland or Spain, the two locations the Menlo Park, California-based social network has chosen to begin testing them.

But Chris Cox, Facebook's chief product officer, says in a post that the company plans to use the feedback from the test run to make improvements, with the hope of launching the buttons globally "soon."

Many Facebook users have been clamoring for the company to add a "Dislike" button for years, arguing that hitting the "Like" button in many instances - such as in reaction to a tragic news event - can seem a bit shallow, or even inappropriate.

At the same time, typing out a thoughtful comment on a phone isn't always easy.

Cox says the company studied Facebook comments to see what reactions were most universally expressed through Facebook and based the new buttons on that.

"As you can see, it's not a 'dislike' button, though we hope it addresses the spirit of this request more broadly," Cox's post reads.

In order to see the buttons, which are available in the iPhone, Android and desktop versions of Facebook used in Ireland and Spain, users can either long-press or hover over the "Like" button. The buttons will then appear for users to scroll through and select.

Counters underneath a post will track how many of each reaction the post has received, similar to how likes are tracked now.

How can “Like” be an inappropriate substitute for expressing interest?

• padmos,victoria-cas
    10/21/2015 - 12:11 p.m.

1. A dislike button would be inappropriate in many situations. It has the potential to be a big help in cyber bullying. I can be used to purposely put people down. If you do not like something, than you do not have to like it. Just keep scrolling.
    2. I learned that the new “emojis” are coming on the market. I am kind of excited for them.

• tylerl-day
    10/22/2015 - 03:00 p.m.

I think this new Facebook is a lot like reddit but on a smaller friend to friend scale. Personally, I would love to have a dislike button on Facebook. Maybe it would get me to actually use that form of social media again. I think a dislike button definitely has potential. This way you can tell someone to F off without actually using those words. Reddit is definitely a lot better than Facebook though.

• erind-day
    10/22/2015 - 10:37 p.m.

I believe that social media and texting emoticons like the ones face book is adding to their platform have no benefit to human communication. Its a way for people to express emotion without using words thus overtime people will begin to lack the skill of expressing themselves through vocabulary words. I also do not find this news or important news to clarify, it is merely a minor technological update that most people expected sometime soon. "Typing out a thoughtful comment on a phone isn't easy" the articles say, is just another excuse for lazy,illiterate people who's communications skills are decreasing every face book post.

• briannec-ste
    10/26/2015 - 07:08 p.m.

I don't really like the idea of the "dislike" button, It would probably add more social media "fights." Although, when a tragic event happens, you don't really know whether to like or comment something.

• ginnyc-har
    11/01/2015 - 09:17 p.m.

A "Like" wouldn't be THAT inapropriate but in situations you LOVE or you want to save a post, you might not want only a measly "Like" or maybe you do not like a post, wouldn't you want to put a "I Hate This With All My Eternal Hope" button or a dislike, but if i were to argue, I'd want a "Get This Off of Facebook You're really annoying" buttion.

• sierrab-ste
    11/09/2015 - 04:45 p.m.

I think it's a bad idea to come up with these buttons. If you dislike something that somebody posted, they could get offended. This will probably start a ton of drama that is unneeded.

• khinmarwai-eri
    11/19/2015 - 02:49 a.m.

'Like' can be an inappropriate substitute for interest because you seem to just acknowledge the information.

• khinsandarwin-eri
    11/19/2015 - 03:23 a.m.

I think "like"and "interest" cannot be equalized in this context. Obviously, it is not aproprite to "like" every post we are interested in, especially bad news and tragic news. Next, if there is dislike button, I can easily click it to express my feeling towards one of my friends' post. This may ruin the friendship on just one click where neglecting it woud have been occured. So what is more apropriate is to have a choice of emoticons.

• papasein-eri
    11/19/2015 - 03:38 a.m.

In many posts where the subject matter is unpleasant like a sad one or an unjust case or a terrifying accident, Like is inappropriate as it can mean that the user who gives Like to such a post likes or is happy for the event in the post.

• myamya-eri
    11/19/2015 - 10:26 p.m.

It can be inappropriate in order to express one's dislike & reaction to sad things.