Is cheerleading a sport? Maybe in New York Cheerleaders perform at Nimitz Junior High, in Odessa, Texas
Is cheerleading a sport? Maybe in New York

With its pyramids, tosses, and tumbling, cheerleading would be classified as a high school sport in New York under a measure recommended by state education officials Monday that would require coaches to be properly trained and schools to follow common safety standards.

The Board of Regents is expected to vote on the proposal Tuesday, following its unanimous approval by a Regents committee Monday.

New York has been considering classifying cheerleading as an interscholastic sport since 2009. State officials say 34 states and the District of Columbia currently do so.

"This is a great step for the progress of cheerleading and tomorrow's vote by the Board of Regents could be historical," said Robert Zayas, president of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association, which would implement coaching and safety standards.

Right now, there are no limits on the length of seasons, time between contests or required practice days.

"The athleticism of competitive cheerleading requires that coaches are properly trained in stunt spotting and understanding the fundamentals of conditioning," the state Education Department's proposal to the Regents said.

If approved, the recommendation would take effect with the 2014-15 winter season.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is it important for schools to follow common safety standards?

• madelines-Ste
    4/29/2014 - 01:13 p.m.

If cheer leading is classified as a sport then so should the marching band. The band might not do tumbling or toss people in the air but our band here in Newport PA, has done much more than the cheer leaders have done but we don't care we have also done more than the football team, we would run laps around the school everyday we had practice and then do push-ups and do crazy stunts and yet we get laughed at and joked about because we are in the band. You know I am happy that the cheerleaders got recognized for being a sport hopefully things will start to change for the sports that get neglected.

• RachelBi
    4/29/2014 - 05:35 p.m.

I think that cheer leading is a sport. It involves a lot of the same aspect as other sports. For example, strength. Cheer leaders need strength to lift other people on the squad up.

• NakoomaKewenvoyouma-Lar
    4/29/2014 - 07:33 p.m.

It is important for schools to follow common safety standards so none of the athletes get hurt. In my opinion I do think that cheer leading is a sport because most of the cheerleaders do work very hard to make the team. They work hard just like any other athlete in any other sport, they would have to make promises and do a lot of work.

• John0724-YYCA
    4/29/2014 - 08:06 p.m.

I agree that cheer leading is a sport. My mom said she was a cheerleader and it was very hard. And I went to the Fair Fax middle school I saw a cheer leading practice and all the girls fell on top of each other. If was cheer leading with girl it was going to be a big challenge. And also to master cheer leading you need to practice a lot.

• Sarah H
    4/29/2014 - 09:06 p.m.

I think it is good that they are making it a sport and making the coaches be qualified for the job. You don't want anyone getting hurt and then have a problem on your hands. I know that when I was cheering the past two years for my school, it was nice to have a coach that coached cheerleading privately and knew what she was doing. Like any sport, SAFETY COMES FIRST!

• JACKELINEC-ZDE
    4/30/2014 - 08:01 a.m.

Cheerleading should be considered a sport. Most of the time it takes training to maintain the ability to be able to do the tricks they do. Many people say it doesn't take much to flip and throw someone in the air, but when you think about it you must need a lot of strength to be capable of doing it. Cheerleaders get injured and go through competitions just like in any other sport.

• JamesRoe-Lar
    4/30/2014 - 11:52 a.m.

I think that cheerleading should be considered a sport for schools who actually do pyramids and flips and stuff because that takes alot of skill. But there are schools that just cheer and I think that this should not be considered a sport.

• colleenl-Ste
    4/30/2014 - 01:26 p.m.

Cheerleading is a sport no matter what anyone of this Earth says. My philosophy is that if you sweat while doing it, you have a coach, and you have a team, its a sport. Finally cheerleading is getting recognized as a real sport and not a "fake" sport.

• Destinee P
    4/30/2014 - 01:42 p.m.

A sport is a thing that is physical and you are competing. Competition cheer leading is a sport. They work almost every day to get everything perfect. Us girls can lift people. Try doing what we do, then tell me its not a sport.

• EmilyKne
    4/30/2014 - 01:52 p.m.

I think cheer leading is a sport. You have to do some extreme things with your body and there are some extreme health risks because of some of the things you do.