Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black Burger King's new menu Kuro Diamond burger is prepared at its Shibuya restaurant in Tokyo (AP photos)
Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black

The first Kuro, or black, burger had a signature black bun and sauce. Last year's edition, the Kuro Ninja, added a slice of (non-black) bacon to the signature black components. Now Burger King Japan is going black on black.

The fast-food chain added black cheese and deepened the color of the other ingredients in the special burger duo added to menus last week. Burger King Japan wants people to try the burger and find it tasty even though it may look unappetizing at first, Marketing Manager Kana Ienega said.

WHAT'S IT MADE OF?

The Kuro Pearl is simple with a black pepper beef patty covered with Chaliapin (onion and soy) sauce infused with squid ink. Its black cheese and buns are colored with bamboo charcoal. The Kuro Diamond is the same burger, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and mayonnaise.

HOW DOES IT TASTE?

Peppery. If you can get past the shocking color, it's not bad. The black pepper in the patty hits you at the first bite and complements the tangy sauce, with its hint of squid ink. The Kuro Diamond is juicier, with extra sauce and mayonnaise. But if you're expecting a totally different taste just because of the color, it might fall below expectations.

WHAT DO CUSTOMERS THINK?

Eating one in Tokyo's bustling Shinjuku district, Kuah Kia Wei, a 14-year-old student from Malaysia, says, "I like it because it has a very interesting taste to it and it's nothing that I've tasted before."

Bernice Chua, a 25-year-old fashion designer and illustrator from Singapore, says, "the best part is actually the sauce, it's not really about the buns because you don't really taste the bamboo charcoal inside, but I think the sauce really makes up for it."

Julien Tirode, a 37-year-old event planner from France, says, "I'm a little disappointed because to me, it has no special taste or anything. Yes, the burger is black, the cheese is black, there's little black stuff in the meat, but (other than that) that, there's nothing special to me."

WHERE CAN I GET IT?

The burgers are available in Japan until November. The Kuro Pearl retails for 480 yen ($4.39) and the Kuro Diamond for 690 yen ($6.31). It's not clear why black burgers are a hit in Japan. But quirky food and drink products such as square watermelons, green tea candy bars and ice cucumber Pepsi are commonly sold.

Critical thinking challenge: Why dont all customers have the same reaction to the black burger?

• tonip-Koc
    9/23/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

I think that the black burger looks like its burnt and unappetizing to me. Just reading that there's squid ink infused into the burger makes it even more gross to me. I don't think i have the guts to actually try the burger if it was presented to me.

• Savannahlo-Fre
    9/23/2014 - 01:06 p.m.

Ewww! This sounds disgusting! Can you imagine all the grease in that burger, or how they colored the cheese! I would never eat this disgusting thing! It,s practically not even real food!

• Connorba-Fre
    9/23/2014 - 01:09 p.m.

What in the world is this thing, it looks like a turtle. This black burger looks absolutely disgusting. If I was in Japan and I ate at a Burger King I would never eat this burger. No only do I not like burgers but this would set my dislike over the top. No wonder its in Japan, its so exotic.

• Haliele-Fre
    9/23/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

Wow. A black burger! That sounds amazing. I would like to try a black burger one day if I ever visit Japan. Although I believe that they'd probably taste quite similar to a regular one. The reason why I think this is mainly because of what Julien said. Julien said, "I'm a little disappointed because to me, it has no special taste or anything. Yes, the burger is black, the cheese is black, there's little black stuff in the meat, but (other than) that, there's nothing special to me."

• GigiSylvester-Ste
    9/23/2014 - 01:11 p.m.

that's really weird that its black. All of the ingredients sound disgusting, like squid ink. I would never eat that! Also, they are really expensive, like $4 and $6 for a Berger, you can get a mcdouble at McDonald's for $1.25

• Adamho-Fre
    9/23/2014 - 01:16 p.m.

I believe that not everyone has the same felling about is because, maybe they like different colors of food. The color of food usually compares to, one how we're used to it, and two how it tastes. I personally think that a variety of naturally blended colors, like on a burger, green for lettuce, red for tomato, yellow for mustard,brown for buns, and orange for cheese.

• colleenl-Ste
    9/23/2014 - 01:28 p.m.

I would never eat a burger that looks like it was over fried. But in a place where they eat green tea candy bars and drink ice cumber Pepsi, this might just be the new hit thing. It looks bad, but I can't really disagree to someone's preferences until I try it myself.

• KAnthony-Cas
    9/23/2014 - 08:15 p.m.

You never know what Japan has coming up next with strange foods. This is just another weird creation. I also think it looks like you will get sick if you eat it.

• JS2001basketball
    9/24/2014 - 08:41 a.m.

All the costumers don't have the same reaction because they have different opinions or some of them like the last one probably was focused on the color and after she got passed that it was black her expectations were lower

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    9/24/2014 - 09:21 a.m.

I had read about this new burger last week and I personally would never have the guts to try it. Although it probably tastes amazing, I don't think I could stomach the thought of eating something completely black.