Boy Scouts rescue TV star Ann Curry, left, and Meredith Vieira appeared during a segment of the NBC "Today" television program in 2011
Boy Scouts rescue TV star

Ann Curry has reported on television from the most dangerous places on earth. She appeared on NBC's Today show for many years. But when she broke her leg during a recent hike, it was a troop of New Jersey Boy Scouts that came to her rescue.

Curry was hiking with her family on Bear Mountain in New York's Harriman State Park when she hurt her leg.

Members of Troop 368 from Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, came across the injured NBC News correspondent sitting along the trail after her family had tried unsuccessfully to carry her down the rugged mountain path, according to Scouting Magazine. Curry encouraged the scouts to keep going, but they saw she was in pain and needed medical attention. So they quickly fashioned a splint for her injured ankle and crafted a stretcher from logs and a tarp. They carried her down the mountain to where her husband and son brought their car to rush her to the hospital.

"Your skill and professionalism were a great comfort to me," Curry wrote. "I was in great pain but you were very careful in carrying me over the sharp rocks and into the car that took me to the hospital."

Curry said her leg was so severely broken that it would take 10 to 12 weeks to heal.

Troop leader Rick Jurgens said many of the 14- to 16 year-old scouts were just following their training. They didn't realize they had rescued someone famous.

The scouts were amazed, Jurgens added, after watching Curry's news reports on someone's cellphone and seeing all the famous people she had interviewed.

Critical thinking challenge: Should the scouts have done anything differently if they had know that Ann Curry was famous? If so, what and why?

PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY

• jwClemmy0826
    5/13/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

I think the fact that they didn't know she was famous was cool because that shows they would help anyone in need. Even if they did know, they would still treat her the same way and carry her down the mountain.

• RMansaray123
    5/13/2014 - 08:42 a.m.

Well isn't that a surprise. Who would have thought a couple of normal, average teens would end up saving someone famous. They must be astonished to know what and who they helped. It's also a good story for them to tell their kids when they join boy scouts or girl scouts. You'd say, "Oh when I was a boy, I used my boy scout skills to save a celebrity. Maybe one day that will happen to you." It's a proud moment indeed.

• kw18green
    5/13/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

I'm not surprised that the boy scouts did such a wonderful thing. Also even if they she was famous they should have did the same thing they did, i mean what would the big difference be if they had known.

• nhshannahk-Ste
    5/13/2014 - 02:16 p.m.

I bet it was quite surprising when the boy scouts figured out that the woman they were saving was famous. It was very nice of them, and I think that this shows just how important and rewarding the Boy Scouts Association can be.

• WarrenB-4
    5/13/2014 - 08:55 p.m.

Summary:
    This article is about a Boy Scout Troop 368 rescuing a person who just broke her leg. To be specific it was the TV Star Ann Curry. When the troop found her, they found out that her family had tried unsuccessfully trying to bring her down the mountain. As a scout is always prepared for anything, the scouts came to her rescue. Curry told the scouts to continue taking her down the mountain but they could tell that she was in very bad pain. A scout should be trained in First Aid and CPR, so they fashioned a splint for her injured ankle and made a stretcher from logs and tarp. They took her down the mountain, there her son and husband took her to the hospital.

Summary:
    I know that the scouts followed all of there procedures carefully. I will be honored to meat the scout master of troop 368.

• lk30pink
    5/14/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

I think that if it werent for the boy scouts that she would have been stuck there for hours. They really were smart and helped her in that situation.

• KH20deus
    5/14/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

wow. shes really lucky that those boy scouts were on the mountain if they were not she would be in a whole lot of trouble.

• ZM17Games
    5/14/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

I think it's cool that they rescued her because if they didn't come by her, she could have been sitting there in pain for a really long time. So it's good that they came to her rescue just in time.

• kw12pink
    5/14/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

Wow I can't believe a group of boys were able to save her. Its amazing that she was able to get the help that she needed.

• PrincessGadberry
    5/15/2014 - 11:02 a.m.

wow. i didn't know boy scouts were trained that good. i am very happy that they r all OK. if i were their leader i would have been very proud. her family were maybe praying when they heard she broke her ankle.