Is a bigger iPhone coming next week? A person stands near the Apple logo at the company's store in Grand Central Terminal, in New York (AP photo / Reuters)
Is a bigger iPhone coming next week?

Apple's latest product launch will be in a setting that holds a special place in its history, signaling how big this event is for the company.

The Sept. 9 launch is expected to feature a larger iPhone and possibly a computerized watch. It will be in the same Silicon Valley venue where Apple's late co-founder, Steve Jobs, took the wraps off the original Mac computer 30 years ago. That machine was hailed as a major breakthrough that helped bring personal computing to the masses.

These events have become an annual rite since the 2007 release of the iPhone, but this year's may be the most highly anticipated since the iPad came out in 2010.

A "smartwatch" or other wearable technology would mark the company's first foray into a new product category since the iPad came out.

True to its secretive nature, Apple Inc. isn't giving any clues about what's on the Sept. 9 agenda. "Wish we could say more," Apple said in a succinct white invitation mailed Thursday to reporters and others.

Apple watchers expect an iPhone with a larger screen than the 4-inch display on the previous two generations of the device. The iPhone 6 is expected to feature a 4.7-inch screen to make it more competitive with larger smartphones made by Samsung Electronics. There also has been speculation that Apple may release another iPhone model with a 5.5-inch screen.

A bigger-screen iPhone could unleash a surge of sales among Apple fans who own iPhones with smaller displays. Some analysts think Apple could sell at least 70 million units of the iPhone 6 within the first few months after the device hits the market.

Although the iPhone is Apple's biggest moneymaker, much of the intrigue around this year's event surrounds the possibility that the company may release a long-awaited smartwatch that could help monitor people's health and serve as control center for Internet-connected appliances and electronics in the home.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has indicated that he is intrigued with wearable technology devices, but hasn't provided any concrete clues about what the company is working on. Cook has only said he is excited about what Apple's latest inventions, a sentiment echoed by one of his top lieutenants, Eddy Cue, who earlier this year hailed the company's product pipeline as its best in 25 years.

Apple has just been redesigning and adding features to its iPhones, iPads, iPods and Mac since the release of the iPad. This has raised concerns among investors that the company had run out of new ideas after the October 2011 death of Jobs, who served as its chief visionary.

Critical thinking challenge: What does Apple gain by being so secretive?

• ylindsay24
    9/03/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

My opinion about the IPhone 6 is that this phone will probably be the next big thing for the Apple company. I personally wouldn't buy it because i dint want a phone with a huge screen, I would rather have a smaller one. Also about the Apple Smart watch, is that I would buy it because its portable and small and perfect to take around.

• tybreland
    9/03/2014 - 07:33 p.m.

My opinion about the IPhone 6 is that this phone will probably be the next big thing for the Apple company. I personally wouldn't buy it because I don't want a phone with a huge screen, I would rather have a smaller one. Also about the Apple Smart watch, is that I would buy it because its portable and small and perfect to take around. It would be cool to have with you if you can't see that good.

• sbrown-Cla
    9/04/2014 - 01:26 p.m.

this a very great story I am very excited about this bigger iphone coming out next week I am looking forward to getting it I cant wait I may be getting the watch too

• raye-Koc
    9/05/2014 - 10:08 a.m.

If apple doesn't make a smartwatch type device, it risks being overtaken by andriod. As for the larger screen, I hope they keep a smaller screen model, as many customers (including me) only have iphones because they offer a smaller profile and screen than their andriod counterparts. It's understandable that they want to compete in the market for large-screen phones, but I hope they don't forget that some people still want a small, manageable screen.

• havenr-Koc
    9/05/2014 - 06:17 p.m.

Apple is one of the largest phone industries in the world aside from the android competitiveness. I believe that since all of this hype on the Iphone 6 is being assumed that when the product really does get released on the 9th of September people may or may not be disappointed with the product details. Overall Apple has never really steered the people wrong with their product outcome and I'm sure they have many ideas to keep the public on edge for what's going to come next.

• yasming-Koc
    9/06/2014 - 07:03 p.m.

I find it interesting that still after the 5th iPhone they seem to have more ideas for the latest phone trend. I wonder how much longer it will be before they are complete out of ideas and the iPhone name is burn out.

• miguelr-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 08:56 p.m.

The new iphone I think it's like the iPhone5s but bigger. Many people want the new phone so they can show off or spend another $600 on the same phone and it will be like this for a long time. I would not be getting an iPhone 6.

• vincet-Koc
    9/08/2014 - 12:02 a.m.

Knowing that this new apple product is coming out will really enlighten some of my peers who are tech lovers. Many peers own iPhones and some use them for educational purposes, hopefully this iPhone can help us students use the applications for education without any hassle.

• NW2000Basketball
    9/08/2014 - 08:48 a.m.

Apple gains people to be interested in what they're selling. If they keep it a secret for a little it gains people interest and now the people want to see if this product apple is selling is worth buying.

• ws2001wrex
    9/08/2014 - 01:15 p.m.

Apple gains from being secretive is a more intrigued fan base that cant wait to see the new Iphone. Also, the apple Iphone will become even more of a icon unlike Samsaung which shares their items more. The Iphone will be full of new surprise, that people cant wait to see.