Benno eats ammo Dog owner Sonny Brassfield and veterinarian Dr. Sarah Sexton play with Brassfield's Belgian Malinois Benno (AP photos)
Benno eats ammo
Lexile

A veterinarian in Arkansas has kept a dog from going out with a bang after the animal ate 23 live rifle rounds.

Benno, the 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, had surgery to remove the .308 caliber ammunition from his stomach, The Baxter Bulletin newspaper reported.

Owner Larry Brassfield said Benno has eaten socks, magnets and marbles, but he didn't expect the animal would bother a bag of bullets he'd left by a bed. Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after the pet vomited up four rounds.

Veterinarian Sarah Sexton at All Creatures Animal Hospital in Mountain Home removed 17 rounds from Benno's stomach but left two in his esophagus, which the dog was allowed to discharge on his own.

"This is something they certainly did not cover in school," Sexton said. "I've had dogs eat things before, mostly stuffed toys. Once I had one swallow a hearing aid, but I think this takes the cake."

Brassfield said he won't leave ammo lying around anymore but isn't optimistic that Benno will stick to dog food.

"You can baby-proof a house," Brassfield said, "but I don't think it's possible to Benno-proof a house (although) Lord knows, we've tried and failed."

Critical thinking challenge: Why wasn't this procedure covered in Sarah Sextons school?

Assigned 9 times


COMMENTS (39)
  • Josephl-Pav
    5/14/2015 - 09:53 a.m.

    This is amazing. The dog is very lucky to be alive. The ammunition is very dangerous and could have fired inside of that dog. The amount he swallowed is also very dangerous.

  • tiffanylee-Goo
    5/14/2015 - 10:24 a.m.

    This procedure wasn't covered in Sarah Sexton's school. The text states that Larry Brassfield and his wife realized Benno needed medical attention after he vomited up four rounds. The text also states that this procedure is not something they cover in school. The evidence from the text clarifies why they don't cover that procedure in school. They would never expect a dog to eat a bag of bullets so therefore they don't feel the need to cover that procedure.

  • karlytorres74
    5/14/2015 - 12:32 p.m.

    Eating ammo can result in some serious issues, Beeno better be careful next time so he doesn't have to have surgery again. He needs to stop eating every little thing he sees, though I am glad that he is okay. I did some research and ammo contains lead and lead is very bad to eat and is not at all good for you in any possible way.

  • caoilinncrotty53
    5/14/2015 - 12:47 p.m.

    Larry, the owner, was putting rounds into a can, but didn't have enough room to fit the last 200 or so. Larry also said that Benno has never messed with ammo before. Benno has swallowed other weird items before. Sarah, the vet, did the two hour surgery and removed 16 highly chewed rounds and one shell. She also said that there were a lot of jokes going around about the dog eating the bullets.

  • jacobfrancel46
    5/14/2015 - 12:50 p.m.

    Wow! That shocked me that a dog would eat ammunition. He ate 23 rounds of ammunition? I didn't think a dog could swallow ammunition because it would be pretty hard to swallow. I believe the dog would have died if they didn't find out. My cat Brody a couple years ago ate 100's of my mom's hair ties and he couldn't go to the bathroom. So he was hiding in the closet and we took him to the vet. The vet said if we didn't bring him that day he would've died.I did some research and found that bullets have lead in them so it could have very well killed the dog. So I think they should check the dog for lead poisoning. I hope this dog turns out all right. I'm still surprised a dog can eat an bullet. I guess some dogs will eat anything.

  • chris.nunes15
    5/14/2015 - 12:50 p.m.

    Poor dog! Its normal for a puppy to eat stuff laying around the house, but a 4 year old adult dog? After researching i believe Benno has a mental illness called Pica, it`s when your full grown dog eats non food items. The physical causes of this illness are inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, intestinal parasites, anemia, thyroid disease, and simply just increased hunger. This is very common for Benno`s breed, German Shepard, they are very prone to these diseases.

  • kaylie.latham53
    5/14/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

    That would be really scary if I had a dog that ate anything that looked interesting. I would not know what to do at all, besides take him to the vet. I researched and found that the owner was asleep and his wife was alarmed, woke him up, and told him there was ammo in the Benno the dog's vomit. The man wanted to wait and see how much ammo Benno ate. A little later, they took him to the vet because he realized the dog had eaten a lot of ammo! My research mentioned an explosive fact, it said the ammo almost started a fire in Benno's stomach.

  • jacobm-Che
    5/14/2015 - 01:44 p.m.

    i feel so bad for this dog he could have died and his owner loves him so much hes a really cute dog i would hate to lose him and i'm so glad that hes okay now

  • marcusr-Che
    5/14/2015 - 01:53 p.m.

    I think the owners should be a little bit more careful what they lay around the house because that is dangerous. but good thing that the dog is okay.

  • treyb-Che
    5/14/2015 - 02:03 p.m.

    brass-field he won't leave ammo lying around anymore but possible benno proof a house although as we tried and failed. and a benno will stick to dog food.

Take the Quiz Leave a comment
ADVERTISEMENT