Barbie is no longer #1 with girls Mattel's Barbie dolls on sale are pictured inside a shop of a life-size "Barbie Dreamhouse" in Berlin, Germany (Reuters / AP photos)
Barbie is no longer #1 with girls

For the first time in more than a decade, Barbie has been frozen out of the top spot on the holiday wish lists of girls.

The new reigning champion in the hearts of little girls is Team Elsa.

The hit "Frozen" has earned Disney more than a billion at the box office and the animated film has now plucked Barbie from the throne that she has occupied for 11 years, according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.

The NRF's Holiday Top Toys Survey found that one in five parents, or 20 percent, plans to buy "Frozen" merchandise for their girls. That beats the 16.8 percent that are looking to make a Barbie purchase.

Barbie's star has faded, with sales of the iconic doll dropping 21 percent in the third quarter financial results, according to toy company Mattel Inc.

"Frozen," even a year after the release of the film, continues to rule the playground, where girls form circles and burst into songs like "Let It Go," and "For the First Time in Forever."

Dolls dominated the top five spots for girls in the NRF poll. Monster High dolls took the fourth spot and American Girl grabbed the fifth position.

For boys, the NRF said that the number one spot is again held by LEGO, which by its own right had a big, box office smash. Cars and trucks came in second place, while Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were in third place.

The NRF survey polled 6,593 consumers from Nov. 3 to Nov. 10. The survey was conducted for NRF by Prosper Insights & Analytics. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.2 percentage points.

Critical thinking challenge: How did the survey determine the most popular doll?

• jacob.francel46
    12/02/2014 - 01:09 p.m.

No surprise, I knew ''Frozen'' was going to be a big hit for little girls. Had no idea they made dolls for that, so that would be a no brainer it would knock barbie off the shelves. I guess it was time for another doll to have a chance to make some money.

• VSiara-Cas
    12/02/2014 - 02:35 p.m.

I feel like Barbie shows young girls that in order to be pretty you have to be thin and have a lot expensive things that are pink and sparkly with this perfect image of this guy and you'll have a perfect life but with frozen you don't need a guy to be happy. I also think that girls have grown old of barbie.

• devonm-3
    12/03/2014 - 02:37 a.m.

Froze dis number one this year for Christmas. Young girls are wanting Elsa inspired toys instead of the usual girls christmas favorite Barbie. Barbie has been the top seller for over a decade but the stars are loosing their shine. Frozen is super popular and it's even been almost a year since the movie came out. Elsa is specially popular. She is on shirts, dolls, and almost anything you can thing of. Frozen is the first on the list to Santa this year and Barbie might be a pass for young girls. My cousin is 9 and she is obsessed with Frozen. Her Christmas list doesn't include Barbie but it does include Frozen merchandise. Barbie was always my favorite but she soon might be a favorite of the past.

• cshields-Cla
    12/03/2014 - 11:51 a.m.

wow this is surprising my sister would always get a barbie for Christmas and then spend all day and now girls will be sitting watching TV all day just shows are technological age

• kbryant-Cla
    12/03/2014 - 11:53 a.m.

Barbie shows young girls that if you want to be pretty, you have to be skinny and have blond hair. But that's not the case anymore. Barbie is getting outdated and a change is needed, and that's the Elsa doll.

• ttravillion-Cla
    12/03/2014 - 11:57 a.m.

I think its cool that Elsa dolls are better than Barbie dolls. Although both dolls aren't realistic, I think Elsa is a better role model.

• hshelly-Cla
    12/03/2014 - 12:02 p.m.

Frozen is making it's way through the world as number one. Toy Story 3 used to be the number one animated movie, until Frozen came out. There are rumors about Frozen 2 also. Frozen may always be number one.

• sstockett-Cla
    12/03/2014 - 01:18 p.m.

when I was little I use to play with Barbie's, bur after a while I got bored with them just like I got bored with brat dolls. every one always wants the new thing and frozen dolls are the new thing. I think that frozen is a great movie and if I was still a little girl I would get an Elsa doll. Even if people aren't kids they still want frozen stuff just like Olaf, and the moose from the movie. Also I think Barbie is old and it was fun for girls when I was little and years ago when my mom and my aunt were little.

• jocelync-Koc
    12/04/2014 - 10:57 a.m.

Finally another new icon for little girls are in the top chart barbie was getting old and boring. I would definitely ask for a frozen character for Christmas this year. And Olaf as well he is so cute who wouldn't want any of those cute characters, plus its something new for a new generation of kid. Traditions change over the years so why not move barbie from the charts and let new barbies come along, but this article i like because frozen is a cute and funny movie. if you haven't watched it you should!

• ne2001bieber
    12/04/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

The survey determined the most popular doll by percentage. 1 in 5 parents which is 20% wants to buy the frozen doll for there kids and only 16% wants to buy Barbie. I'm surprised frozen beat Barbie.