Baby seal found in front yard In this Thursday, March 24, 2016, photo provided by the Fremont Police Department, is a young seal pup who made a wrong turn, ending up in Fremont, Calif. In this (Fremont Police Department via AP)
Baby seal found in front yard

Authorities say a baby seal made it 4 miles from the water to the front yard of a home in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Rescuers nicknamed the seal Ozzie after she was found March 24 on Osgood Road in Fremont, California. The female northern fur seal had no visible signs of injury and was taken to the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito.

The 9-month-old seal has been rescued before. Center staff members say the pup was found malnourished last November at New Brighton State Beach in Capitola.

She was treated and released earlier this month in Bodega Bay, which is about 100 miles northwest from where the animal was found in Fremont.

They say the seal should have headed north to Alaska but lost her way and headed south.

How did rescuers know the seal had been found before?

• corbenst-
    3/31/2016 - 10:09 a.m.

The marine center's must share records.

• jackm-
    3/31/2016 - 11:09 a.m.

That seal is so cute. And probably friendly. If it was just released and came back he must love humans. It is only nine months old. I can't believe it made it 4 whole miles without getting caught. If I found that in my front yard I would keep it in my bathtub. And name it Jack Jr. It would be best friends with my dog.

• alexism148512-
    3/31/2016 - 11:11 a.m.

the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito said they had rescued the seal
    In November she was malnourished. They sent her on her way and she was supposed to be heading towards North Alaska but lost her way and turned south.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    4/04/2016 - 07:08 p.m.

I wonder what cased the seal to go 4 miles out of the water. How a person would not notice a seal out of water is beyond me. I hope the seal will learn for her mistakes and travel to Alaska next year.

• briannec-ste
    4/14/2016 - 11:13 a.m.

I love little baby seals, I wonder how it got to where it was found. That seal must like people though.

• audreyx-lam
    4/19/2016 - 10:47 a.m.

The seal has probably been found before because she probably had a tag on, or some sort of way to find her. The Marine Mammal Center (or any animal center) has ways to identify their animals, just in case they escape.

• garretta-fel
    5/06/2016 - 02:23 p.m.

Rescuers knew the seal had been found before because they probably had a file on the seal last time.

• ethany-fel
    5/06/2016 - 02:24 p.m.

The researchers know the seal had been found before because they normally put a tag or tracker on them after being rescued.

• lances-fel
    5/06/2016 - 02:25 p.m.

The rescuers knew it had been found before because it had already been to the MMAC and they recognized it.

• elizabetht-fel
    5/06/2016 - 02:25 p.m.

The rescuers knew that the seal had been found before due to her being on record at the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito.