90-degree weather forces snow day (Thinkstock)
90-degree weather forces snow day

On a day when temperatures surged past 90 degrees in central New Jersey, an electrical problem forced a school district to declare a snow day.

Classes were canceled Aug. 8 in Keyport because of a malfunctioning component at the district's elementary school.

Officials cited student safety concerns for their decision, noting the building lacked reliable power. That meant students and staff members were facing a day with no phones, Internet or fire alarms.

Keyport Superintendent Lisa Savoia told the Asbury Park Press the district logged the unexpected day off as a snow day, two of which are built into its school calendar.

Why is a lack of electrical power a safety issue?

• briannec-ste
    9/17/2015 - 03:42 p.m.

As much as I love snow days, I feel like it isn't as fun without snow.

• mattheww-day
    9/17/2015 - 07:41 p.m.

The lack of electricity would be a safety issue because fire alarms would not be able to work. Also without power people would not be able to make a call for help if anyone got injured. You would not be able to drink clean water because the water filter runs on electrical power. The last safety hazard would be that people would not be able to see in the hallways because the lights would not be able to turn on automatically.

• reillye-rei
      9/21/2015 - 03:59 p.m.

Your post was very detailed and made me want to redo mine if I could.

• catalinak-rei
      9/21/2015 - 04:07 p.m.

I like your examples, as well as the punctuation and capitalization. A+

• matthewc-day
    9/18/2015 - 05:38 p.m.

As great as a snow day in September would be, I feel although this snow day wouldn't have been much fun. The lack of necessary safety equipment due to the power outage could have caused significant problems for the administration, teachers and students at this school. Calling for a snow day, while odd, was the right thing to do in this situation. Having the students stay home was the right thing to do and was a great idea to keep the students safe.

• brandons-day
    9/18/2015 - 09:23 p.m.

This is very out of the ordinary. I wish this would happen at my school. We have had 90+ degree days and have not had it cancelled. This Post is funny while making the students of that school very happy.

• wagner,brett-cas
    9/21/2015 - 09:06 a.m.

The lack of electrical power is a safety issue because it is 90 degrees outside and that could start a fire. There wouldn't be any fire alarms to alert the students and or faculty of the school. I love snow days but it wasn't worth the risk of having the students go to school in that heat.

• colec1-hug
    9/21/2015 - 11:15 a.m.

I think a day off would've been a pretty good idea in case students need to get their work caught up and enjoy their day off at the same time. What I think of in regards to why a lack of electrical power is an issue, I believe the Wi-Fi couldn't connect to the internet properly.

• sanderb1-hug
    9/21/2015 - 11:15 a.m.

I think that this article about a snow day when it is 90 F is kind of a misnomer. In reality, it was an electrical malfunction in the school, causing the superintendent to log the day off as a snow day. So I think the name of the article should be hot weather causes school to lose power. I also think that people need to design electrical systems to be more resilient to the heat and cold, so that things will operate better and safer.

• garrettf-hug
    9/21/2015 - 11:16 a.m.

Without enough power on a 90+ degree day fire alarms do not work so if there is a fire because of how dry it is there would be no help and many kids would be injured severely or could die. So i think it is a perfect safety measure to have a day off of school on that day, for everyone's safety.