Would you eat chocolate-covered bugs? A woman prepares to eat a chocolate topped with an insect in a chocolaterie in Villers-les-Nancy, north-eastern France. At left, wax worms on toothpicks for dipping in a melted chocolate fountain (AFP / Getty Images / AP photo)
Would you eat chocolate-covered bugs?

The menu includes crickets and wax worms. They can be dipped into melted chocolate.

It looked like a Halloween trick. But it was actually an array of treats. They were being served up at the Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium in New Orleans.

The facility houses thousands of live bugs. They include beetles, cockroaches, wasps, bees, ants and termites. It also has a butterfly exhibit.

Insect-infused food is also a huge draw. Thousands annually visit the museum's Bug Appetit kitchen. That's where six-legged critters and worms are cooked and served. But not all the food includes bugs.

"We get every range of reaction in here," said Zack Lemann. He is the museum's animal and visitor programs manager. "There are people (who) ... come to eat the bugs. Some just won't try it."

The chocolate-infused bugs were being offered as a special "treat." They were right alongside the chocolate "chirp" cookies. Those are made with sugared wax worms and spicy Cajun crickets.

• raschl
    10/20/2014 - 02:11 p.m.

This article made me think about trying chocolate covered bugs besides ants
    in my life. The author's message made feel courageous because trying
    new things is my goal.

• Gicooljon
      10/23/2014 - 02:08 p.m.

I would not do it I think you are crazy. I don't won't to be mean our any thing I just would't wo to to do it .

• Gicooljon
      10/23/2014 - 02:04 p.m.

It is really crazy I wish that didn't happen to her.

• ElizabethB-Bla
    10/20/2014 - 03:57 p.m.

I read the article "Would You Eat Chocolate-Covered Bugs". It was strange to read that people would really be willing to eat bugs because they are bugs that you would see outside, and also they are not the prettiest things. The Critical Thinking Question asked: Why are the chocolate chip cookies called chocolate "chirp" cookies? The chocolate chirp cookies are named that because they are made with sugared wax worms and spicy Cajun crickets.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/20/2014 - 10:20 p.m.

I love chocolate but I will not eat a chocolate covered bug! I am no eating the chocolate covered bug even though I love chocolate because I don't like bugs and I surely do not want to have a chocolate covered bug. I think it was very surprising to have some wax worms covered in chocolate in an exhibit and let people taste it because some people don't like bugs. I don't agree to let the people who don't want to eat bugs covered in chocolate and force them to eat it because if you force the person they might throw up or something bad will happen. I learned that an exhibit passed some chocolate covered bugs out. I am amazed because people passed out chocolate bugs at an exhibit.

• MelissaM-Cal
    10/20/2014 - 10:46 p.m.

How gross to eat the bugs even though they were covered in chocolate.Who eats bugs any way I only eats chocolate covered in chocolate.

• TraceBramlett-Hay
    10/21/2014 - 10:51 a.m.

That story was really grouse. Why did they write that story? Did you like it? I did not like that story.

• KadenJohnson-Hay
    10/21/2014 - 10:52 a.m.

Eating bugs on chocolate is just nasty I would throw up.

• BenHinkle-Hay
    10/21/2014 - 10:54 a.m.

It looks really gross. Do not eat it people....... Super gross Dudes.

• OksanaGoroshka-Hay
    10/23/2014 - 10:57 a.m.

NO!I would never even come in there I bet it is so gross in there everyone threw up from all the bugs.[People who made it are not smart]

• Gicooljon
    10/23/2014 - 02:02 p.m.

That is very weird and cool to. That would be funny if they didn't no that was a bug .