What would you do if you found a bag of money? (Thinkstock)
What would you do if you found a bag of money?

A Utah man got a surprise when he stopped to pull a large orange bag off the highway. He feared that it would become a traffic hazard.

The Deseret News newspaper reports the 75-pound bag tumbled out of a truck. It was driving in front of Dan Kennedy on Interstate 80. When he looked inside the bag, he found stacks of cash.

"I thought it was going to be light. I reached down to grab it and I couldn't move it," Kennedy said.

The sack was approximately 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide. It was filled with smaller bags packed with currency. They included $50 and $100 bills. Kennedy estimated each of the small bags contained $22,000.

It was unclear how much money the entire bag contained.

Kennedy tried but failed to chase down the Brink's armored truck that had lost the bag. He drove the money to his parking lot at work. Then he called the police.

The three Utah Highway Patrol troopers were "stunned" at the bag of money, Kennedy said.

"Never in all my years have I heard of a bag of money bouncing out of the back of an armored truck," said trooper Brady Zaugg. "That's something that happens in the spy movies."

Kennedy said it never occurred to him to do anything other than turn in the money.

"He hadn't disturbed it at all. So he obviously did the right thing for the right reason," said Zaugg. The trooper said Kennedy reported his find to the police immediately.

Brink's employees told police they drove over a bad bump on a highway off-ramp. They didn't notice the back latch opening or the bag falling out.

Kennedy said he hasn't heard anything about a reward for his good deed. But he was excited by the unusual discovery.

"I was just jazzed all day long," he said.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the bag orange?

• BaileyB-Kut
    4/13/2015 - 08:16 p.m.

i honestly don't get why the bag was orange, but i really like to find out. And it is just outstanding how he gave up 22,000 to the police. i mean if he kept it it wouldn't be a crime because he didn't steal it he found it in the road, but its so great that he gave it up to the police.

• John0724-YYCA
    4/13/2015 - 09:05 p.m.

It was a right thing that he did to return the money to the police because he didn't find the rightful owner of the orange bag of stacks of cash which if it was me I would have just kept it of took some of the money and then gave it to the police. But the thing is why would a armored truck carry such an amount of money that could get robbed easily if it was in the back of the trunk.

• Tiffany0307-yyca
    4/13/2015 - 09:13 p.m.

Whoa, that man was pretty lucky to find that amount of money. But I know it was right for him to turn the money into the police to find the owner. Unlike being greedy and trying to keep all the rich money for himself, he was being honest and he wasn't trying to lie and keep all the money for himself and not try to tell anyone except for himself. But there is a real lot of money inside that orange bag! If I were that man, I would be greedy and try to get all the money. But I know if my parents had the money, they would immediately call the police just like Kennedy.
    Critical Thinking Question: Why was the bag orange?
    Answer: It might have been orange because you can't really see the money inside and that would make it safe from everyone noticing and trying to keep it from his/her self.

• altringervilla
    4/14/2015 - 01:18 p.m.

The bag is orange because it is bright and if you lose it you could find it fast.

• altringervilla
    4/14/2015 - 01:21 p.m.

The bag is orange because it is bright so if you lose it you will find it fast

• altringerroberto
    4/14/2015 - 01:21 p.m.

the bag is probably orange because the color orange is bright and they'll see it cause if it was a dark color they wont see it at night

• altringerreese
    4/14/2015 - 01:22 p.m.

becuose there ware pull a large orenge bag oof the highway

• altringerrodrigo
    4/14/2015 - 01:22 p.m.

I THINK the bag was orange because when they loosit in the dark the color orange is bright so they could find it

• Krystalp-Cla
    4/14/2015 - 03:54 p.m.

Dan Kennedy or a guys was walking and he found an orange bag off the highway and he took the bag.He was nervous of what was going to be inside of the bag.He opend it and he saw even smaller bags and those smaller bags were filled with money.He wanted to return it and so he did.When he gave the money back he earned a reward for giveing the money back instead of taking it.I like the story because it is entertaining to me and imforming to me because it tells you what dan kennedy to a guy did when he found the orange bag.

• Rebeccas1-Cla
    4/14/2015 - 04:21 p.m.

Dan Kennedy is a very good man. Not every one would return a bag with thousands of $$ in it. The people that owned this money should be very grateful!