Want to have a robot to take home? A Finch Robot (Wikimedia Commons/finchrobot.com)
Want to have a robot to take home?

Assign to Google Classroom

Instead of borrowing a book, in one city it's possible to check out a robot.

The Chicago Public Library has a fleet of 500 robots. The gadgets are known as Finch Robots. The library is the first in the nation to allow people to borrow robots.

The robots can be coded to move. They can make noises, light up and even draw. Children as young as 8 years old can program the robots.

"We hope to inspire the next generation of technologists and computer scientists," said Jim Lecinski. He is the head of the Googles Chicago office. Google donated the robots.

The partnership with Google will support the city's push to give its people more chances to learn.

The robots were invented by a lab at Carnegie Mellon University. You can connect the robots to a home computer or laptop. You can download instructions from the company's website.

"Getting students excited about computer science at the primary and secondary school level is critical," Lecinski said.

• John0724-YYCA
    5/13/2014 - 07:23 p.m.

That is a cool robot that they made. A robot that could make noises, light up, and draw stuff. But a library that let you borrow robots! That is unfamiliar to hear. It also has a weird name! I wish more cool stuff comes out.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
      8/05/2014 - 02:08 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      I know it is a cool robot. But, you can only BORROW the robot because it is the library's property so you have to return it before the due date. Also, more cool stuff WILL come out like hover boards, portable supercomputers, flying cars, etc.

• AlexL1-Gar
    5/16/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

I never knew that Chicago 's library had robots that's great.

• geobanip-rob
      4/06/2016 - 02:19 p.m.

*never* i never knew that you can get a robot at the library for free!!!! but these robots can be so cool.

• lfsnoahm-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:47 p.m.

I think its cool that you can check out a ROBOT from a library. I might go to Chicago and check one out myself to try it out!

• Raulr-Gra
    5/27/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

This is a awesome robot I want a robot home.

• sanwswag
    5/28/2014 - 01:37 p.m.

it is about cool robot at a library that you can program to do what you want like clean your room.
    I think it is cool because it revolutionizes the world.

• ISABELLAV-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:20 a.m.

This is a very different invention. Now that you can take robots home instead of books it can make things a lot better. This can especially save trees and be more fun to have. Hopefully this can progress to many other places.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/12/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

Wow, that is the most coolest robot I've ever seen. But I want to have a robot just like that. But I do not have one.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    7/31/2014 - 03:01 p.m.

REBUTTAL
    I think that robot thing is very weird and that robot is not helping kids with anything. I don't think that you read this part. It says that its programmed for 8 year old kids what need help with homework and do no need that. You just want it. All it is just is is that it is a rat robot that blinks its light when there is something wrong. I think that that is the stripes idea in that whole world and tie want that. I thin that you are just thinking about the robot and not thinking about your self. I hope that you can do better no your homework. If you do better on your homework, then you will not want this stupid robot toy.