Wanna buy The Flintstones home? A Wilma Flintstone figure is seen at the Flintstones Bedrock City theme park (AP photos)
Wanna buy The Flintstones home?

"Flintstones" fans with a few million dollars now have a chance to rule over the town of Bedrock. They can own a page right out of history.

The owner of Flintstones Bedrock City is selling the property. It is a northern Arizona theme park. The park is designed around the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. The price is $2 million. Linda Speckels said she is ready to retire from operating the park and campground. It is located in Williams. That is about 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon.

"I'm 73 years old. I don't have that many more years of adventure time left," said Speckels. She has been trying to sell the place for more than a year. "I love the property. But I feel like it's time for somebody else to come in and enjoy it and do something with it."

The price, however, does not include the image licensing of everyone's favorite modern, stone-age family. Warner Bros. owns Hanna-Barbera properties. Speckels has renewed her own deal over the years with different licensors. New owners would have to work out their own licensing agreement.

Speckels said she is optimistic that anyone who would care enough to buy the park would be able to work out a deal on the licensing. She, personally, would like to see the prehistoric props stay.

"A lot of people think of this as art. Especially architects and photographers," she said.

Speckels started operating Bedrock City with her husband, Francis "Hudi" Speckels. That was in 1972. The "Flintstones" attraction was a spinoff of one Francis Speckels' parents started in Custer, South Dakota. Francis Speckels died in 1990. But Linda Speckels continued running the park. The stone age village includes Fred's Diner restaurant, gift shop, theater and RV park. Among the attractions is a train. It rides through a volcano. There is also a slide down a dinosaur's tail. The $2 million purchase includes 30 acres of land.

Speckels daughter is Holly Hulen. She occasionally helps out. She said business has been good the past year. The park is still a draw, she said.

"She has survived 42 years. It is really amazing for a small business," Hulen said of her mother. "But she's going to be 74. It's time for her to retire."

"The Flintstones" was one of several popular animated staples created by Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera. The program followed the antics of Fred Flintstone, his wife, Wilma, and their friends, Barney and Betty Rubble. The animated show was one of the most watched prime-time TV shows in the 1960s. It was revived in the 1980s. It spawned several TV specials and live-action film adaptations.

A lot of parents visiting the park like being able to introduce their children to "The Flintstones," Speckels said.

"We're getting a lot of third-generation families with kids and their grandparents," she said. "Everybody can relate to Fred and Wilma."

Critical thinking challenge: Why is the true cost more than $2 million?

• kaylal-Hyl
    6/11/2015 - 12:43 p.m.

I loved this article. I loved this article because i love the Flintstones. When i was 7 my mom would show me the Flintstones and i loved it. I know the Flintstones is very old. I would love to buy the Flintstones house if i had the money.

• Aident-Der
      6/12/2015 - 12:30 p.m.

I agree with Kaylal-hyl on this. I think it is a great house even though (in the picture at least) it looks quite small. Maybe you could buy this house but build a real house next to it to live in. All in all I think its a great house.

• John0724-YYCA
    6/11/2015 - 04:12 p.m.

The Flintstones cost so much that I think no one is going to buy it because its two million dollars worth and with that much money you could buy something else that is better than a house of cavemen because I would never buy the house if I had that much money. I think that they should make it a little lower and the Flintstones should be retiring because it started from vey long time ago.

• caitlynnk-Hyl
    6/24/2015 - 10:31 a.m.

If my parents said yes i would buy the theme park and live there. That is so cool. I am a very big fan of the Flintstones. I watched all the movies. Loved them all. I grew up with the Flintstones so i would love to by that. That is a relay good price you get a hole theme park and lots of land. I wish i could buy it.

• felipevidal
    7/09/2015 - 05:13 p.m.

This text tells us about a park inspired by the flinstones and her owner has it for sale, it costs $2 million.
    Well I've never heard about a park like this, I'd love to go there someday, I imagine it very nice and I love the flinstones, specially Bam Bam what a nice guy hahah.
    And about the true cost I guess it is because this park has bought the rights to Warner Bros and how we know the rights of famous stuff like cartoons or music or lyrics or things like that are very expensive in addition it has 30 acres of land, it's close to the grand canyon and has all the buildings that Bedrock has.

• VanessaUribe
    7/10/2015 - 04:08 p.m.

Linda Speckels proprietres of The Flintstones home decide sell this beautiful place, she say "I'm 73 years old. I don't have that many more years of adventure time left," is for this that will sell, " it's time for somebody else to come in and enjoy it and do something with it." says Speckes. the price is 2 million It is a northern Arizona theme park. The park is designed around the Hanna-Barbera cartoon "The Flintstones".
    in my opinion it is good that the property is sold bacause that she is tired or she want this legacy pass into the hands of another person is your decision and it's ok.
    answer: Well i think that is more bacause as well as beautifull, enoumous and famous that is this place for the aimated series, is part the ours life, our memory.

• Brooklyn-Wit
    7/27/2015 - 09:54 a.m.

I would buy it because it has 30 acres of land and it has been very popular for 70 years. I mean, that is a long time! My last reason is because i would want to see what it was like so that's why i would to buy it.

• TylerS-Wit
    7/27/2015 - 10:06 a.m.

I wod by the flintstones park. Because it is about 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon.
    The $2 million purchase includes 30 acres of land. That was in 1972. The "Flintstones"

• Craig-Wit
    7/29/2015 - 09:51 a.m.

I would not by the Flintstones house because it is 2 million dollars and that is too much money. It also is too hot to be living there for a long time. That is about 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon. Also I would not like it there because i dont like how it looks. I dont prefer houses made from rock.

• IsaacB-Wit
    7/29/2015 - 10:07 a.m.

I will like to buy the park. and give my friend Dominic half. My half I would make a water park. The park is about 30 miles south of the Grand Canyon. Its so hot at the grand canyon; this is why you can keep cool at the park. So you can be cool so come down to keep cool! Another reason I think it is a good investment is because I could earn back my $2 million dollars by opening a gift shop. Third, my water rides would be like no other because they would be themed like the Flintstones. For example, I might have a bucket that you can swing on.

only 5 dollars for the gift shop
    please do not break if u do tell me
    the manager