Is there such a thing as a cute shark? A photo of a rare pocket shark in October 2013 in Belle Chasse, La., taken out of the Gulf of Mexico in 2010, and discovered in a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration freezer and identified as the rare species in 2013 (AP photos)
Is there such a thing as a cute shark?

Think Jaws meets a kangaroo, with maybe a touch of cute kitten and you've got the aptly named pocket shark. It is the newest and rarest species found off the U.S. coast.

Surprised scientists have found a tiny, young version of the extraordinarily rare shark. It was fished out of the deep Gulf of Mexico in 2010. It was found along with lots of other creatures. They were captured during a government research trip. The dead specimen spent more than three years in a giant freezer waiting to be identified.

It turned out to be only the second of its species ever seen. The first pocket shark was found 36 years ago. It was in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Peru. That pocket shark has been sitting in a Russian museum ever since.

This pocket shark was a male. It was maybe a few weeks old. It was about 5.5 inches long. Strangely, this type of shark has two pockets next to its front fins. The fins' purpose is not known. It's not quite like a kangaroo. That animal uses its pouch to carry young. But few species have pockets this large, about 4 percent of the shark's body.

"It's cute," said Tulane University biologist Michael Doosey. He co-authored a study in a zoological journal. The study identified the pocket shark. "It almost looks like a little whale."

Mark Grace is a fisheries biologist. He works with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. He has spent more than 30 years going through bags upon bags of fish to identify them. It took him more than three years to get near the end of the freezer. That is when he plopped a bag on the table and let it thaw.

"I wasn't really sure what it was," Grace said. "That pocket over on the pectoral fin. I had never seen anything like that on a shark."

It's a small miracle that the shark was not thrown away. A couple of times, the lab with the freezer lost power.

Once identified, the shark was shipped to New York and France. High-tech examinations that wouldn't puncture the specimen were used.

The shark also has unusual belly patches not seen in most sharks. The only other pocket shark found was a female adult. It was about 17 inches long. It is believed that adult females may be larger than males.

But the truly strange thing about this species is its twin pockets. No one knows what they are for. Grace and Doosey speculated that they may secrete some kind of glowing fluid or pheromones.

The Gulf specimen has umbilical scars. They indicate he was probably a few weeks old, Grace said. Because of that, they think he was born in the Gulf. He was captured in February 2010 by the ship Pisces. The vessel was about 190 miles off the Louisiana coast.

"There's others" out there, Grace said. "We just haven't caught them yet."

Critical thinking challenge: Why was the shark kept frozen?

• kimberlym-Wre
    4/30/2015 - 12:00 p.m.

Why did you kill her that pure little thing plus he was very adorable and did look like a whale just more smaller when the pocket shark gets big is going to bite like the other sharks ?

• gloriav-Wre
    4/30/2015 - 12:01 p.m.

it was kept frozen becuse other people can see it and to the pockets and to see if they can find more so they can remember how they look like

• John0724-YYCA
    4/30/2015 - 08:45 p.m.

Whoa, that shark does look like a tiny whale when I saw it because the nose of the pocket shark look's just like the nose of a sperm whale and I thought that was a baby whale rather than a baby shark in my point of view, just look at it. Well the shark does look cute in my opinion because it looks cuter than regular sharks because this shark looks friendly while the other sharks look cruel and ready to eat our whole human race just by looking at it because when I look at a shark or a shark picture it looked like it was saying in its mind that I am his early dinner.

• camilacontreras
    5/03/2015 - 05:32 p.m.

the text is about a new species of shark that was found in the Gulf of Mexico, which was frozen for three years in a few bags, because they did not know what kind of animal or fish it was.
    I think it's very interesting because scientists believe they have discovered all species on our planet, but they are wrong, Mother Nature has prepared us many more surprises.
    the shark was kept frozen because scientists did not know exactly what it was.

• samuelw-Hyl
    5/04/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

I like this article because I think it is really cool that there is a shark named the cute shark and its the 2ND one alive so this article taught me alot of history of the cute shark it was the best article I have ever read. This shark is really small to.

• aliciac-Hyl
    5/05/2015 - 12:07 p.m.

I think there is a thing such as a cute shark becuase the shark is cute. I think the shark would be awesome to have as a pet. Well I hope the scientists find more pocket sharks, preferably female. I want female becuse if they get a female the scientists can try to get them together and there will be more pocket sharks in the world. I <3 this artical. :) :(

• irho-Tay
    5/06/2015 - 02:37 p.m.

Why do the shark look like a baby whale?
    What would the shark look like in 10 years?
    Who would care for it?
    How would it survive in the wild?

• sben-Tay
    5/06/2015 - 02:40 p.m.

they are so cute but they look like whales.I want one so bad but then I'll let them go back into the ocean animal shelter.

• irho-Tay
    5/06/2015 - 02:42 p.m.

Why do the shark look like a baby whale?
    What would the shark look like in 10 years?
    Who would care for it?
    How would it survive in the wild?

• sben-Tay