Technology's great, but it could eliminate snow days A boy slides down a hill after a storm brought snow to many southern California locales, near Yucaipa, California (Reuters / AP photo)
Technology's great, but it could eliminate snow days

One of the best parts of winter could be melting away. Snow days in Indiana are becoming more rare.

The state's Department of Education will allow many schools to hold online learning days. They would be used when bad weather keeps students from attending school. This way, students won't miss critical instructional time. And it will help districts avoid extending the school year to make up for missed days.

But not everyone is on board with the change. The move has sparked concern from some members of the State Board of Education.

Board member Brad Oliver is one critic. He thinks the virtual option is worth exploring. But he wants assurances about how attendance and instruction will be monitored. That would help ensure students still receive the 180 days of instruction. Thats the number of days required by state law.

"I'm concerned about students getting lost in the cracks," Oliver said.

Last winter, some Indiana districts missed up to 15 days. That forced them to shorten spring breaks and extend school days. Some had to add extra days at the end of the year.

Virtual instruction does have its rules. Teachers must be available to answer questions. And schools must provide appropriate learning for those with disabilities.

Many districts are opening computer labs. Or theyre providing lists of businesses and libraries with free Internet. Other districts, where Internet access can be a challenge, have stuck with traditional makeup days.

Critical thinking challenge: What things are essential to make online learning work?

• margareth-Hyl
    1/07/2015 - 12:02 p.m.

What is essential to make on-line learning work is that the kids are not bored or distracted. I mean they are in there own home when it is ether sever thunder storms, or it is snowing, or it is a flash flood but whatever the reason is it is most likely exciting so they going to be distracted.

• robertd-Hyl
    1/07/2015 - 12:06 p.m.

I can't believe that kids in Indiana miss 15 days of school I mean can't they just snowplow even so I think those kids are still smart

• aliciac-Hyl
    1/07/2015 - 12:06 p.m.

I can't believe Indiana missed up to 15 days of school, I mean if I missed that many days of school I would have two reactions first really happy because then Maggie could come over and my second reaction would be really sad because I'm missing precious learning time with my teacher, classmates, and all of my BFFs/friends.

• caitlynnk-Hyl
    1/07/2015 - 12:07 p.m.

I think this is a great way i hate giving up my summer and spring break. I would like Pine Bush NY to do this also. This is also great because if you have lots of snow days at once you fall behind and if it snows even more than you get like no spring break and you Summer gets shorter. You should also be able to do this when you are sick though.

• ashleighb-Hyl
    1/08/2015 - 12:00 p.m.

It was cool to learn what the state Indiana is doing for students on snow days. But it also takes away fun from us kids. I don't think anybody would want to do this on a snow day. But at least if they use this system they don't have to take days off of spring break or the beginning of summer break. I think this article was very interesting.

• peytoni-Hyl
    1/08/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

In the article Indiana missed 15 days of their school time last winter. Also, Mr.Oliver said '' I'm concerned about students getting lost in the cracks.'' Also, it says that Teachers must be available to answer question. Schools must provide appropriate learning for those with disabilities. Also, other districts, where Internet access can be a challenge, have stuck with traditional makeup days.

• nolanb-Hyl
    1/08/2015 - 12:07 p.m.

Its just crazy that Indiana had 15 snow days! If I was one of those kids I would hate giving up Spring and Summer break. But the technology idea is great I wish Pine Bush has it too.

• brandond-Hyl
    1/08/2015 - 12:09 p.m.

This passage tot me a lot and helped me know more about snow storms.It was a lot of fun reading this passage and it was knowledgeable!

• haileybr-Bla
    1/11/2015 - 08:12 p.m.

This article is about snow days becoming rare. Instead of doing barely anything all day you would be learning online for a while. Mostly everyone agrees except for one person named Brad Oliver. He's "worried about students getting lost in the cracks". A lot of districts opened computer labs or provided lists of businesses and libraries with free internet. Others have the traditional snow days. That is my summary on the article that I read.

• samuelw-Hyl
    1/14/2015 - 12:00 p.m.

I liked how Indiana school's are telling there kids if there is no school that there is a online learning program and the teacher's will be able to awnser questions that the students ask I think it is a good idea because you will have spring brake.