Real life cats in hats This photo provided by Running Press and Quarto, Inc. shows I Heart You from the book, "Cats in Hats," published by Running Press (AP photos)
Real life cats in hats

It's not enough to knit sweaters for our children and grandchildren. Dexterous fingers need more. They need to knit something smaller and faster. They need to knit hats for cats.

What started as a lark and to honor the grandmother who taught her to knit has turned into steady work for Sara Thomas. She is the author of "Cats in Hats: 30 Knit and Crochet Patterns for Your Kitty" (Running Press, March 2015).

Thomas hopes the book will free up time. She is ready to knit and crochet something else. The book offers quick knitting and crochet patterns. There are patterns for a dinosaur, chicken, bunny, turkey, cupcake, extraterrestrial, banana, Santa, elf, lion, fox, dog, baby bear.

"As much as I love the cat hat, I do want to do other things," admits Thomas. She lives in Nashville, Tennessee.

In 2009, Thomas launched her Etsy shop, Scooter Knits. It offered handmade items. One item was a hand-knit kitty hat, which quickly sold. She's been crocheting the tiny hats ever since. Her biggest hat-selling year was 2012. That was when 300 kitty chapeaus were sold. The holiday hats were the best sellers.

Thomas sometimes crocheted until 4 a.m. to fill the orders.

Hannah Milman, editorial director of Crafts at Martha Stewart Living, isn't surprised.

"People love their pets. It's 'the new baby.' It's no wonder people want to create personalized, wearable gifts for their pets," Milman says. "A large part of it is also social media .... Who doesn't love seeing cats or dogs on Instagram in cute homemade outfits or accessories?"

At least one of the patterns in the book the Happy Birthday Cat Hat pattern is free at Thomas' blog.

Her two cats, Dorothy and Sinclair, are first to try out her creations. Dorothy has proven agreeable. But not Sinclair.

"Sinclair does not enjoy modeling the hats. In fact, he likes to attack them," says Thomas.

A pattern book of hats for dogs isn't out of the question. Thomas also would like to rework her grandmother's vintage patterns for a book.

"She was a beautiful knitter who grew up in Germany. I'd want to make the patterns era-appropriate."

But first? She'll probably embark on a holiday-themed book. It would put more cats in outlandish hats. She has learned that hats for cats sell.

Critical thinking challenge: Etsy is an online store. In what other way has the Internet helped Sara Thomas grow her business?

• MaddieW-Kut
    4/27/2015 - 07:43 a.m.

I read this because I saw the title and was confused because it sounded like a joke but then, after I read it I understood their point. Why shouldn't cats get hats? It's a great idea!

• NatalyL-Saw
    4/27/2015 - 01:50 p.m.

OMG the cat with the hat is so cute I wish I had a cat like that!!!!!!!

• CassieS-Saw
    4/27/2015 - 01:59 p.m.

I think that the cat is more with the hat on it is really funny to.

• JacquelineS-Saw
    4/27/2015 - 02:06 p.m.

Aw that cat is so cute and I put clothing on my cat but not hats. Because if I put a hat on my cat she will take it off. One time I put a dress on my cat and she tried to take it off so if I put a hat on her she will get mad.

• Rebeccas1-Cla
    4/27/2015 - 04:23 p.m.

I wish I had a cat. i have always wanted a cat and it would be fun to make hats for my cat if one. And if the cat didn't mind. I wouldn't want to hurt a poor, innocent kitty.

• LuisAvaca
    4/27/2015 - 10:03 p.m.

>The article talks about an on line business hats for cat created by Sara Thomas. In 2012 it sold more than 300 hats for cats, she creates hats various models like chickens, cupcakes, bananas, and others.
    Sara created a book called "Cats in Hats: 30 Knit and Crochet Patterns for Your Kitty".

-My opinion:
    >I like this type of pet business because the animal lovers can make gifts to their pets.

-Critical thinking challenge: Etsy is an on line store. In what other way has the Internet helped Sara Thomas grow her business?.
    >The Internet helped the business thanks to the social networks like Facebook or Intagram because the adorable photos get more 'likes'.

• OliviaT-Mau
    4/28/2015 - 11:28 a.m.

I think that is a really cute and good idea because the cat's heads might get cold or the cat's don't like being cold or the cat might not like being outside. Cat's do not like having outfits on or have any cover on the cat but the cat's in the picture of the article the cat's look like they are really enjoying it in the picture. Some cat's don't even like to be touched and I am wondering how cat's can have that on the cat's head.

• galvinc-
    4/28/2015 - 01:39 p.m.

This story is about Sara Tomas . she liked to crochet and Knit hats for cats and dogs .
    She lives in Tennessee with her grandmother . she wants to honor her grandmother with the hats .
    People can buy the hats online on Instagram . And I want to her to continue for generations to come .

• brady.q-
    4/29/2015 - 08:55 a.m.

The story is all about Sara Thomas knits cat hats she published cat in the hat march 15th It took place in Tennessee she wanted to honor her grandma

• HaileyR-Dis
    5/01/2015 - 10:42 a.m.

Wow, what fun! I enjoy seeing pictures of cats in the hats. My favorite is the valentine one at the top of the page. I would like to see the Santa hat.