Now Google lets you zip through the Amazon jungle (Thinkstock)
Now Google lets you zip through the Amazon jungle

For its next technological trick, Google will show you what it's like to zip through trees. Right above the Amazon jungle. That is in South America.

The images were recently released. They are the latest addition to the diverse collection of photos supplementing Google's digital maps.

The maps' "Street View" option mostly provides panoramic views of cities and neighborhoods. They are photographed by car-mounted cameras. But Google also has found creative ways to depict exotic locations. Even where there are no roads.

In its latest foray into the wilderness, Google teamed up with environmental protection group Amazonas Sustainable Foundation. It is more widely known as FAS. They wanted to explore a remote part of an Amazon rainforest in Brazil. Google Inc. lent FAS its Trekker device. It is a camera that is mounted. The apparatus originally was designed to be carried like a backpack. Hikers can carry it as they walk on trails.

FAS, though, sent the Trekker down a zip line. Google is renowned for going out on a technological limb. But even this project made the company nervous at first, said Karin Tuxen-Bettman. She oversees Google's Street View partnerships.

The setup required FAS workers to tread through the rainforest. They needed to find a place where they could string the zip line. That's so the Trekker wouldn't bump into tree trunks and branches as it zoomed through the thick canopy. FAS workers found just enough room to erect a zip line. The Trekker's trip went roughly 65 yards.

"If a partner comes to us with a crazy idea, we will probably try it," Tuxen-Bettman said.

Google developed the Trekker camera in 2012. Since then, the device has been dispatched on other unusual journeys. The Trekker went scuba diving in the Galpagos Islands. It took underwater photographs of the preserve. And it traveled on a dog sled in the Canadian Artic. There it photographed the tundra.

Google's Street View feature has raised privacy concerns through the years. Its photographs have occasionally captured images of unsuspecting bystanders. They might have been engaged in embarrassing activities. Or near places where they didn't want to be seen. Cars carrying Street View cameras also secretly vacuumed up emails and other personal information from 2007 to 2010. They were being transmitted over unsecure Wi-Fi networks. That sparked outrage and legal action around the world.

Privacy issues shouldn't be an issue in any of the photography taken by the zip-lining Trekker. Birds and insects are the only visible forms of life in the pictures it took.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Google willing to pursue crazy ideas? How does Google benefit?

• VanessaC-3
    4/03/2015 - 07:04 p.m.

What kind of google makes us go into the amazon jungle? Well it could be the fact to having a app to locate the amazon jungle and search what kind of things are in the jungle. it being fun or boring and having the time of your life. As also in my opinion letting google guide my way in my path to another life it being good or bad in by researching or updating the life in the jungle and its nature around the course.

• CirilloP-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 07:02 p.m.

Google is willing to pursue ideas. Google will befit by giving panoramic views. They are photographed by mounted cameras. Google is crazy making those ideas. That is how Google benefits.

• SinningK-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 07:31 p.m.

Question of the Day: Why is Google willing to pursue crazy ideas? How does Google benefit?

My Answer: I think that Google is will to pursue "crazy" ideas and Google Benefits by having the latest photos in Google Maps. I think that because the first 3 paragraphs are saying things about taking pictures on a Trekker camera and putting them into the Google Maps. Another reason why Google is willing to pursue "crazy" ideas is because they went all the way to South America and to take only photos!! My final reason why I think that is because I looked into the story to find good information to write about and that is why I have these answers. That is what I think of how Google benefit's and Google is will to pursue "crazy" ideas.

• MayerS-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 08:52 p.m.

I think why Google is willing to do crazy ideas because if that crazy idea works that means Google will get money. Another reason why Google would try to do crazy ideas because Google is willing to take a chance to see if the idea will work. Another reason why Google would us a crazy ideas because Google wants to try to get a lot of money so they can make more crazy things. The last reason why Google wants to try to us crazy ideas because Google wants to be one of the best companies in the world. Those's are some of my reasons why Google is willing to do crazy idea's.

• HokettK-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 08:56 p.m.

Google plays a big part in these crazy ideas people have thought of. I do not get it that google is following these crazy ideas. It might a pay of some time but it might not. I think the should put insterest in to these ideas. Google might just be doing this for no reasson I don't know why but they should.

• LiCausiM-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 09:27 p.m.

I thing google are willing to do crazy thing because it's their job. It's their job because they got excepted to work there. They will do it because they want to. Google benefits by giving them money to let they pay for food and to have money for medical bills. These are the reasons that they do all the crazy things and the benefits that google give to them.

• ManiegoC-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 09:42 p.m.

I think that Google is will to pursue "crazy" ideas and Google Benefits by having the latest photos in Google Maps. Why I think that because they are talking about Trekker camera and putting it into the Google Maps. Another reason is Google is willing to pursue "crazy" ideas because they went all the way to South America and to take only photos. My final reason why I think that is because I looked into the story to find good information to write about and that is why I have these answers. That is what I think of how Google benefit's and Google is will to pursue "crazy" ideas.

• StoneM-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 09:43 p.m.

Google is willing to pursue these crazy new ideas and benefits from them because of these three reasons. First, Google wants to build new experiences so that if people can't see it in real life then they can see it on Google. Next, Google is one of the most used things in the world . They have to have new things for the people who use it so that they keep coming back . Last, Google benefits because they make lots of money from these things. So those are my three reasons why Google has these crazy ideas and how they get benefits from this.

• DorrN-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 10:36 p.m.

Google is willing to pursue "crazy" ideas because they want to have fun with there minds and do crazy things. Google benefits by doing crazy things and people want to see those things for money.

• ManuelJ-Sua
    4/08/2015 - 10:52 p.m.

Google is will to pursue crazy ideas because people like unique and extraordinary things. In my opinion this is a big leap of crazy for google.