King Richard III gets funeral, 530 years after death The coffin containing the remains of King Richard III is carried in a procession for interment at Leicester Cathedral in Leicester, England (Getty Images)
King Richard III gets funeral, 530 years after death

Richard III finally received the ceremony and honor a king deserves. It just took 530 years after his death in battle.

Hundreds of people, including some in period costume and armor, turned out in England's Leicestershire on Sunday. They watched a procession carrying the remains of the medieval king. The cortege made its way to Leicester Cathedral. It is where the monarch will be properly reburied.

Richard was killed in battle against Henry Tudor in 1485. He was buried hastily without a coffin in a long-demolished monastery.

His bones weren't found until 2012. That is when archaeologists excavated them from a Leicester parking lot. DNA tests, bone analysis and other scientific scrutiny established that the skeleton belonged to the king.

On Sunday, a hearse carrying the monarch's remains, sealed inside an oak coffin, processed through Leicestershire's countryside. It was headed to Bosworth. That is the battlefield where the monarch fell. Crowds lined the route of the cortege. Re-enactors in costume fired cannons in a 21-gun salute.

Michael Ibsen is a descendant of the monarch and built the coffin that carried Richard's remains. Ibsen was among academics and others who placed white roses on the casket during a short ceremony.

The coffin will lie in Leicester Cathedral. It will be lowered into a tomb Thursday.

"His reburial at the end of the week will have all the dignity and solemnity that his original burial never had," said Phil Stone. He leads the Richard III Society. It was time to reconsider the king's legacy, he added.

The monarch was most famously portrayed as a hunchbacked villain in Shakespeare's play "Richard III." Some historians say he was a relatively enlightened monarch whose name was besmirched by his opponents.

"Let us remember King Richard III: The good king. The warrior king," Stone said.

Critical thinking challenge: Why were Richard III's bones found in a parking lot instead of a cemetery?

• AlexisSS-1
    3/27/2015 - 02:24 a.m.

This article is about King Richard the third and how he wasn't 'properly buried. It took 530 years for them to bury the medieval king. His bones weren't found until 2012 and his bones were found under a parking lot. There were people who dressed up and the imitated the actors from Shakespeare's play 'Richard the third."

• emrar-boo
    4/01/2015 - 10:03 a.m.

Richard's bones were found in a parking lot because in 1485, he was killed in a battle against Henry Tudor and was never properly buried in a coffin.

• william1108-yyca
    6/29/2015 - 08:03 p.m.

I have never seen someone die before in real life. Also I have never seen bones of a person. I wish I could see someone bury another person. Maybe next time I will find out. I will be waiting. When I dig for bones maybe I will find a bone that is from the most famous in the whole wide word or the universe.

• william1108-yyca
    6/29/2015 - 08:03 p.m.

• william1108-yyca
    6/29/2015 - 08:18 p.m.

Wow! I never knew that they fond a kings bone. I wish I could have found a kings bone. I wonder how the bone looked like. I have never seen a humans real bone in real life. Next time i go digging for bones I will find a kings bone. or maybe something else. Like a dinosaurs. Well, I will find out next time if I can find a dinosaurs bone or a humans bone or a kin bone or a queens bone or a kids bone. But I am sure I will find one. I will find out if I can. ;

• John0724-YYCA
    7/16/2015 - 01:47 p.m.

REBUTTAL
    William, I really disagree with your comment because you are really stupid to say that they found the king's bones. That is really stupid because they already had the bones in a safe place from a long time ago. The king's bone were in something called a coffin just in case you didn't know and a people's real bone looks like a skeleton. And there is going to be a ninety percent chance that you don't find a king's bone because most of them are inside a coffin and it is ridiculous for looking for bones because why would you find a dead guy's bone. Also you wrote three comments for this article so next time I would recommend to write one article.