Hunters capture 1,000-pound gator A monster alligator weighing 1011.5 pounds measuring 15-feet long is pictured in Thomaston, Alabama (AP photos)
Hunters capture 1,000-pound gator

A group of Alabama hunters is celebrating the catch of a lifetime. It's a 15-foot-long alligator that weighed more than 1,000 pounds.

Al.com reports the monster gator was pulled from the water in south Alabama during the state's alligator hunting season. Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries biologists were able to measure the gator at 15 feet.

But weighing it posed a challenge.The first attempt completely destroyed a winch assembly used to hoist most average gators. So they had to use a backhoe to lift the animal. It weighed in at 1,011.5 pounds.

The gator is the largest ever legally killed by an Alabama hunter. It was caught by Mandy and John Stokes, Kevin Jenkins and his children, 16-year-old Savannah and 14-year-old Parker.

• wrestling836
    9/05/2014 - 12:32 p.m.

This croc is 1,000 pounds that's prety big I don't think anyone was going to see a croc that big. It would take years to catch another croc like that. Once they do if they do it will defenitlly be in the guinnes world record book. I hope that the next one they catch is bigger so every one can see it. I hope that you after this artical you will understand that crocs are cool.

• NaSeanC-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 02:01 p.m.

that is a big gator and it weighs 1000 pounds

• Alang-Sal
    9/08/2014 - 10:04 a.m.

I think the monster gator wated 3,000 pounds couse is fat and it said it was more than 1,000 pounds

• Dariusf4-Sch
    9/10/2014 - 11:36 a.m.

What where you using for bait.That is a big and cool gator.

• Gicooljon
    9/10/2014 - 11:46 a.m.

That would be amassing if I could cach one and heave and it would relley bad if you waded one.

• Kennyl4-Sch
    9/10/2014 - 11:47 a.m.

It was the biggest alligator I have seen in my life. its awesome because its huge.

• Alexh4-Sch
    9/10/2014 - 11:48 a.m.

it was the biggest alligator that i seen in my life. And if is was there i would ask a lot of qu adout it.I love it

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/16/2014 - 06:21 p.m.

Wow that really was a lucky catch of a gator. I think the hunters worked very hard to catch the 1,000 pound gator at south Alabama. I don't agree that the hunters caught the gator because a gator is very hard to catch. I am very amazed because the hunters caught a 1,000 pound gator. This article is very cool because once again the hunters caught a 1,000 pound gator.

• josephdST
    9/22/2014 - 09:54 a.m.

I did not know that alligators can get that big. That alligator is really heavy to break something that big. How did you see the alligator in the water?