How to build the perfect snowman A snowman stands in front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington (AP photo / Reuters)
How to build the perfect snowman

Assign to Google Classroom

Building the perfect snowman can be difficult. Often snowmen can turn out a little lumpy or lopsided. They can quickly melt into unrecognizable shapes. Suppose you decide to build one. It helps to have science on your side.

Understanding the physical properties of snow can help you figure out whether a snowman is even possible. Scientists classify snow based on its moisture content. That's the amount of free water compared to ice crystals. Snow comes in five categories. Dry snow is 0 percent water. Moist snow is less than 3 percent. Wet snow is 3 to 8 percent. Very wet is 8 to 15 percent. Slush is more than 15 percent.

Moist to wet snow is ideal for snowman building. That's according to Jordy Hendrikx. She's a snow scientist at Montana State University. Dry snow is like loose powder. Its particles don't stick together well. Slush is too fluid to hold a shape. "You can think of the free water as the glue.' You need enough to stick the crystals together, but not too much. Otherwise it won't form a solid snowman," says Hendrikx.

The amount of water in snow depends on air temperature during a snowstorm. Wet and moist snows fall at or around 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Temperatures that are far below freezing make drier snow. More water particles freeze into crystals. "Years of experimentation and research with my kids reveal a snow-to-water equivalence of about 5:1 yields the snow ideal for building the perfect snowman," says Dan Snowman. He is a physicist at Rhode Island College in Providence.

Moist or wet snow falls when it is just above or below freezing. Dry powder is more likely when it is colder. Powder offers a soft, smooth ride that is ideal for skiing. But it is not good for building snowmen.

The snow is on the ground. It's time to build your snowman. Spheres are the best building blocks. Forming snowballs and packing the snow together creates pressure on the ice crystals. The pressure makes some crystals melt. "After melting, the water will crystallize once again, binding together the snowball," Snowman notes.

You want to keep the spheres from toppling. So stack them in the usual large to medium to small structure. "Keeping the snowman's center of mass low is paramount in the construction of any snowman," says Snowman. The center of mass is the point where the mass is concentrated. The closer that point is to the ground, the less likely a structure is to fall over.

Students at Bluefield State College in West Virginia see snowman-building as a way to teach basic engineering principles. They say the diameter ratio for the snowballs is 3:2:1 from bottom to top. This ratio keeps the base large enough to support the combined weight of the top two snowballs. And don't build your snowman too big. The water content of the snow may limit the size of the spheres.

Building your snowman in spheres can also help it last longer. The shape reduces the surface area exposed to rising temperatures. So it slows down melting. Unfortunately, melting is certain as temperatures rise. Thanks to Frozen, we all know what happens to snowmen in summer.

Critical thinking challenge: Explain how moisture in snow acts like "glue," and explain why too much or too little doesn't work.

• kaylal-Hyl
    2/27/2015 - 11:59 a.m.

I love this article. Next time I build a snowman I will try using a little bit of water to stick the snowman parts together like the article said. I would definitely recommend some of their tips and I would recommend the article to.

• samuelw-Hyl
    2/27/2015 - 12:08 p.m.

This article was a very awesome adventure because now I know how to build a awesome snowman. The most important way to build a snowman is use science.I also now the best snow to use to build a snowman is the moist and a just a little wet snow. I now know how to build the perfect snowman. THIS ARTICLE WAS REALY AMAZING.

• tylero-Hyl
    2/27/2015 - 12:08 p.m.

I liked this article because it tells you if the snow is good enough to make a snow man or a snow ball.It also that when the weather is colder it is dry powder.Also that after melting the snow-will crystallize once again thats what learned.

• brandonmc-Cla
    2/27/2015 - 01:54 p.m.

I would defiantly use the water to stick the snow together like they said it would be so much easier to stick together

• BrynnDani
    2/28/2015 - 09:07 a.m.

I find it hilarious that here is so much science involved in building a snowman. I had no idea that there were different types of snow or that the spheres had to be certain sizes.

• caitlynnk-Hyl
    3/02/2015 - 12:08 p.m.

Thanks Tt junior for teaching me how to build the perfect snowman and all about snow. You should read this atrial if you do not know how to build the perfect snow man or do not know when it is good snow for snowman building. I thought i was a expert on snow but tunes out i did not know every thing there is to know about snow. i also never new that people even ever studied snow. Next time it snows i will know how to build the perfect snowman again Tt Junior for making me a snowman expert.

• galvinc-
    3/02/2015 - 12:48 p.m.

This story is about a snowman in washingtion DC i think the snow was very dry to bilud a snowman because the temperature was too dry. I wish I could play in the snow with. My friends

• Lillianr-Cla
    3/02/2015 - 04:57 p.m.

ms.clarkson this article is awesome and it is a helpful way to learn how to make a perfect snowman.but no one can be perfect so i dont get how this is posible!:)Bye

• Hannahh-Cla
    3/02/2015 - 06:49 p.m.

Ms.Clarkson, I really enjoyed this article and it reminded me of last Friday when it snowed. I tried to build a snowman, but it did not work. Now, I learned the different types of snow.

• rubye-Wre
    3/03/2015 - 10:32 a.m.

I like this because it tells you if the snow is good to make a snowman or to make a ball . And it tells you that the dry snow is o percent water.