Hotels guests can adopt a dog Will Trantham kneels by Jackson, left, a Shih Tzu, along with Darcy, center, and Sophie. Trantham and his wife adopted Jackson when they checked into Aloft Hotel in downtown Asheville (AP photos)
Hotels guests can adopt a dog

At this hotel, guests get welcomed with a wagging tail. Or a warm lick to the face.

A dog will bound out from behind the registration desk. They are wearing an "Adopt Me" vest. This happens as visitors arrive at the Aloft hotel. It is in Asheville, North Carolina. It's believed to be the only hotel in the U.S. where guests can adopt the dog that greets them when they check in.

But the hotel doesn't overwhelm travelers. There's only one adoptable dog at a time, and it's always on a leash.

The pooches at the Aloft Asheville Downtown hotel are part of an adoption program. It's run by the hotel and Charlie's Angels Animal Rescue.

"We feel like we are saving lives," said Christine Kavanagh. She is Aloft's director of sales.

Hotel and rescue workers hope the program spreads to other locations, too. The Asheville hotel opened in 2012. It has not received one complaint about allergies, messes or dueling dogs, Kavanagh said. It allows dogs to stay for free.

The adoptable dogs have spaces set aside. Guests find them at the registration desk, on the roof, third floor and in certain employee areas. They can't stay in guest rooms at night. But they can go with visitors to the restaurant, bar and other spots. The dogs must be on a leash.

"The guests love it. It shows up on guest reviews and consumer surveys," Kavanagh said.

Caren Ferris of Amherst, Massachusetts, and her husband certainly did. The couple were staying nearby when they met a 4-year-old terrier mix named Ginger in the hotel. They cozied up to the pooch.

After a visit, "I got up to leave and told her goodbye. She sat up, looked me in the eye and kissed me on the lips. So I called the shelter, thinking maybe we should adopt the dog," Ferris said.

She and her husband filled out the adoption papers. They paid $175 in fees and waited to be approved.

Charlie's Angels has tough adoption standards. They include a home visit. If a potential owner is from another state, the rescue will ask a shelter there to do the check.

The restrictions haven't stopped 14 dogs from finding homes since the program started in July. That's according to Kim Smith. She is the president of Charlie's Angels.

Jan Trantham and her husband, from Atlanta, adopted a 2-year-old Shih Tzu named Jackson. They fell in love with him when they checked in, she said.

"Every time we went somewhere, one of us would say, 'Let's go back to the hotel and see Jackson.' l couldn't stop thinking about this.

Critical thinking challenge: Why might an Adopt me vest be more effective than an Adopt me dog collar?

• johnsonmichelle@district279.org
    1/08/2015 - 11:06 a.m.

I love this! I live and work in the Twin Cities and a huge part of my heart and life is dog rescue. I volunteer with Safe Hands Animal Rescue and we are always looking for ingenious ways to find homes for our dogs! Thanks for all you do and saving those pups in need!
    Michelle Johnson

• rileyst
      1/08/2015 - 12:09 p.m.

I think doing this is a really good idea! If I were to rent a dog on vacation, it would make my vacation a lot better! I think they put vests and not collars on them is because if they put a collar on a dog that says adopt me they might not see it. if you put a vest on a dog then everyone could see it. what if the dog barks in the middle of the night and wakes people up?

• diegoj-Ela
    1/09/2015 - 03:35 p.m.

I love to take my dog to a hotel at Wisconsin dells.When I got my dog and wanted to go to Wisconsin dells my dad told me we couldn't leave dog alone,and there no hotels for dogs.

• Lamira-Abd
    1/13/2015 - 08:33 a.m.

I think this kind of odd because usually at other hotels and motels they won't let you have an pet their.Also I think its good for the dogs because they're probably waiting for a owner and for someone to take good care of them.

• brady.q-
    1/14/2015 - 08:55 a.m.

The story is all about hotel gusts can adopted a dog. The dogs have adopted me vest to find them a home. The adoped me collor is a little to small to read. a adopted me vest is better for them to reead better. I am glad that Jackson has a home

• brady.q-
    1/14/2015 - 10:27 a.m.

The story is all about the Loft Hotel in North Carolina. Dogs can stay at this hotel. The dogs wear the special vest that says adopt me . the dogs will get a home.

• KateM-Kut
    3/09/2015 - 11:54 a.m.

I love this story. I love dogs and a lot of other people do to. a lot of hotels don't allow dogs but at this hotel you can. it is nice to go somewhere and when you get there you can get some puppy love.

• HannahB-Kut
    4/02/2015 - 08:45 p.m.

This is so cool! I just don't believe that they haven't suffered any major problems or disagreements. I mean who new this would ever work. I just can't stop thing what good the Charlie's Angels Animal Rescue is doing for all those orphan pooches.

• CharlotteR-Saw
    4/27/2015 - 02:03 p.m.

A hotel with dogs?! Aw man, I want to be greeted by a dog when I go to a hotel! I should ask my mom to go there! =)

• Lillianr-Cla
    4/27/2015 - 05:45 p.m.

This article for me!, i think.hehe?anyway bvack to the article this one was awesome as well.When I come on tween tribune i go strsight to the animal section.and i feel like these articles are made for me! but anyway i got to go.BYE!