Frozen Fever, take two? Elsa the Snow Queen (AP photos)
Frozen Fever, take two?

Let it go (on)!

The Walt Disney Co. has announced plans to make a sequel to the animated mega-hit "Frozen."

The sequel had been widely expected. The film has become a powerful force for Disney. It was released in November 2013, Since then, "Frozen" has made nearly $1.3 billion at the box office. It also generated massive sales of related merchandise. And the film won the Academy Award for best animated feature.

Disney didn't announce any details on the sequel's plot. The company also did not provide a release date. But directors Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck will return.

Bob Iger, Walt Disney Co. chief executive and John Lasseter, head of Walt Disney Animation Studios, joined in officially announcing "Frozen 2." They were at the company's annual shareholders meeting. It was held in San Francisco.

"We enjoyed making Frozen Fever so much and being back in that world with those characters," said Lasseter. "We're taking you back to Arendelle."

"Frozen" is by far the biggest grossing animated film ever. Its soundtrack is led by Idina Menzel's "Let it Go." It is played often. A "Frozen" short is to play in front of Disney's latest release, the live-action "Cinderella."

Josh Gad is the voice of the snowman Olaf. He will return for the sequel. No other returning characters were announced.

At the shareholders meeting, Disney also announced a release date for "Star Wars: Episode VIII." It will open May 26, 2017. Rian Johnson ("Looper") is confirmed to write and direct.

Critical thinking challenge: Who stands to gain the most from "Frozen 2," and why?

• kaylal-Hyl
    3/17/2015 - 12:03 p.m.

I thought Frozen the origanal was amazing. But I think a 2 Frozen will be much more interesting because then we get to see what the special party is for. I saw a special celebration on the commercial. And i think that it is going to be ANNA'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• samuelw-Hyl
    3/17/2015 - 12:06 p.m.

IMY sister would like this article because my sister is going tto be ecciyted that there is a new frozen movie comming in 2017 so thats cool for my sister but me personily dont like frozen a littile tiny bit.

• John0724-YYCA
    3/17/2015 - 06:35 p.m.

Uh Oh, everyone get ready to but earplugs because the movie Frozen two is coming out and I don't know about all the other people loves the movie Frozen but for me oh it is like the worst movie made in centuries and centuries. I really think that if they are going to make this movie than they should at least add more characters or even put more bad guys to make the movie better and no Let It go because after that song came in my little sister started to sing that song for like the whole year of two thousand thirteen. CRITICAL THINKING CHALLENGE: Who stands to gain the most from "Frozen 2," and why? ANSWER: I think that the queen Elsa should gain the most because after all after the movie Frozen most of the people liked Elsa better than Anna.

• caitlynnk-Hyl
    3/18/2015 - 12:03 p.m.

That is great news there is going to be a short film on frozen and a frozen. I love the movie frozen so i can wait to see the new frozen and the short film. I love frozen and i think that frozen lovers all around are very exited. Now i have to see the live action film Cinderella well i already wanted to see it but now i relay relay want to see it. Thank you Disney. I love frozen. I think that me and my Friend Shelby are the most exited people in the world about frozen 2 and the frozen short film.

• aliciac-Hyl
    3/18/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

I can 't wait to see Frozen Fever or Frozen 2 when I go to see Cinderella!!!!! I can't wait to see Olaf. Again, but animated (my sister has a B.A.B (build a bear) Olaf toy)!!!!!! And to answer the critical thinking challenge Olaf stands to gain the most because he is one of the only characters that is returning to Frozen that people know. :) :(

• ashleighb-Hyl
    3/19/2015 - 11:59 a.m.

I can't believe that they FINALLY announced that Disney is making a Frozen 2! I knew that they were making one since November 2014. Even though they don't have all the other characters at least they have Josh Gad (as Olaf). I hope Indina Menzel (Elsa), and Kristen Bell (Ana) come back. Frozen 2 would not be the same without Elsa and Ana. I give this article a triple thumbs up! :) :) :)

• AvaP-4
    3/19/2015 - 08:18 p.m.

Frozen, apparently the biggest movie of all time, is coming back to theaters. But this time with a sequel! Frozen was a huge hit in the box office to mostly young viewers, but to a good amount of teens and adults as well. Just in the box office, Frozen made nearly $1.3 billion. That's the most any movie has ever made just in theaters. I really enjoyed the movie Frozen, and I am very excited to see the second part!

• HannahB-Kut
    3/22/2015 - 09:49 p.m.

In my personal opinion I think that Frozen had its attention it really doesn't need anymore than it got these past couple of years. I can understand why they want to make a second one but in reality its a waste of time. They could be working on so much more than a second Frozen. Im sure kids will enjoy it but its just going to be the same thing all over again for people who where done with Frozen in the first place. But then again that's just my opinion.

• JacobM-5
    3/24/2015 - 12:14 p.m.

This article is about the idea of making Frozen 2. After the first movie Frozen made over 1 billion dollars they decided to make a announcement by the producers. They did not give any information out but said they will bring the people back to Arendelle. They also gave an announcement about the next Star Wars movie date.

• lathropv-Paw
    3/26/2015 - 09:49 p.m.

The main idea of this passage was that "Frozen" is the top movie for children everywhere since it came out. It came out in November 2013. It is March almost April of 2015 and I am still seeing merchandise for "Frozen". One of the reasons I know that was the main idea is because as it says in paragraph 2- "......."Frozen has made nearly $1.3 billion at the box office. .... And the film won the Academy Award for best animated feature." This means a lot of people spent money at the movies to see "Frozen". The movie even won an Academy Award! Another piece of evidence I have is in paragraph 6, "Fans have waited eagerly for the announcement. Most big box-office hits generate sequel announcements within weeks of opening." Fans are waiting for the "Frozen" sequel to come out. Why else would they be waiting if they didn't even somewhat enjoy the first one? My last piece of evidence is in paragraph 7, "Frozen" is by far the biggest grossing animated film ever." "Frozen" is the most grossing animated film EVER? I did not know that before today! I probably should though. My little cousin who is 3 turning 4 in August, is obsessed and I mean OBSESSED with "Frozen". She bought the DVD and has more "Frozen" toys than any kid I know. So honestly, because of her, I'll probably end up seeing the "Frozen" sequel no matter what. Uh-oh.